X

Katana Tuning for noobs.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Tuning for noobs.

Staring this thread as a placeholder for questions I'm sure that I am going to have. My GF bought this bike for $1300 and its pretty sound, but it MUST have had 6 quarts of oil in it when we go it back, so the maintenance history is questionable.

Its a 1994 Kat 750. Its got a V&H pipe on it, I don't know if its a slip-on or full system, its rusted pretty good and I haven't seen enough of them to tell the difference stock or not. I'll post pics later. Bike starts faster then my Speed Triple, but it also jumps to 4000rpm if you leave the choke all the way out.

What we've fixed so far
    New Tires (BT-45Vs)
    New blinkers (and fluid)
    New Mirror
    Passed inspection and its all legal, and everything works.

What I can see so far, it needs (minimum)
    Chain (found an O-ring hanging out)
    Fork Seals (surprise! 16 year old bike)

The real reason I'm rambling on? The carbs of course. The bike has a pronounced stumble just over 3000rpm. I can work around it but the GF is really new, and she may or may not have the touch with the clutch to slip it and not let it jerk. Once its on the mains it pulls nice, smooth, and strong. So I'm thinking its lean on the idle circuit. I'm also wondering if it has a full system and stock jets

Tonight I took it apart a little. I got to the tank and relized its been a decade since I had a carb bike and I don't think I EVER worked on a CV carb, so there is going to be a bit of a learning curve. I'll get a hold of a haynes or something tomorrow, because simply, I don't know enough about these bikes.

I'll give it one thing its a VERY easy bike to ride. Nice and plush, well balanced with none of the hard edges my Speed Triple or Daytona excell in.

The best part: Because my GF is bad ***, we got it home and she looked at the almighty Kan-o-tuna, and at my Speed Triple and asked me "what do we have to do to get rid of all the plastic". She wants to fighter it out....so that'll be coming to.

Look up carbs 101. All you need to know. Helped me a ton when i first cleaned my carbs!

That being said, where did you find your girlfriend, and were there any left?

Comment

Originally posted by Tripped1 View Post
      New blinkers (and fluid)
      Hmmm, something I overlooked to change on my bike... blinker fluid.

Did you upgrade to halogen?

Kat manual is in the Katana Wiki I believe, for free download

Welcome to KR.

J

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
        Hmmm, something I overlooked to change on my bike... blinker fluid.

Did you upgrade to halogen?

Kat manual is in the Katana Wiki I believe, for free download

Welcome to KR.

J
        Thanks for the tip on the wiki, missed that.

Originally posted by Staerke View Post
        Look up carbs 101. All you need to know. Helped me a ton when i first cleaned my carbs!
        Yeah, I got under the tank a bit tonight. So I'm staring at the petcock and thinking...oh ****, how do I get that thing off(its got a full tank of course).

I'm not sure if the pilots are clogged (possible, its been neglected) or if the jets are just wrong.

That being said, where did you find your girlfriend, and were there any left?
        I found her at a bar....with her mom. She has a hottie little sister too, but shes only 19....and a Joisy goil.
        Last edited by Tripped1; 11-15-2009, 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Dive into them and find out if it has a jet kit etc. It may have never been properly tuned after the header upgrade.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
            Dive into them and find out if it has a jet kit etc. It may have never been properly tuned after the header upgrade.
            Anyone got a pic of the stock header, I'm not sure what is hanging off the front of it.

Comment

not stock, V&H SS2R ceramic coated header!

Best picture I have of stock, there are 2 small crossover pipes on the front of the header on the pre 750
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

That first bike is sexy there, ho-ly ****.
                Do you have a thread for that one in the streetfighter forums?

Comment

That first bike is sexy there, ho-ly ****.
                  Do you have a thread for that one in the streetfighter forums?
                  same bike, look for KatBusa in the long term projects in suzuki katana talk and thank you!
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                    same bike, look for KatBusa in the long term projects in suzuki katana talk and thank you!
                    Thanks a ton.

Yup, shes got the V&H full system, I took pics of it but I lost the license to my photo-editing software, so I'll have to deal with that after work today.

That settles it, the carbs are coming off tonight.

Comment

Working...
                    X