Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My 1989 GSX600F - what a mess. HELP ME/HER!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1989 GSX600F - what a mess. HELP ME/HER!

This thread is to show you what a state my 89 GSX600F is in. And to get opinions on fixing and wheather its even worth doing.

My situation, Im 18, Live in the UK. Did my full motorbike license in June 2008 when i was 17. Now that license allows me to ride a bike up to 33bhp power, or a more powerful that has a restictor kit in it to restrict it down to 33bhp! ..After 2 years I can ride a bike with as much power as i like so June 2010.

When I bought my bike I did not know what I to look for and ended up pay £400 for the bike which was later found to be a complete state, but had a years MOT and TAX. so was legal road worth. (god knows how knowing what i know now!)

So my bike...
    I knew it needed a coupl of things, one of which was a chain and sprockets, now I bought th eparts from Suzuki and any way to ut a long story short they gave me the rong size chain, and after i fitted the sprockets, they replaced the chain for the correct oen and fit it for me free of charge.

After they fit the chain they came out to the shop front to me. i recieved my keys and a word advice accompained with a list.

On the list Suzuki said I had the following problems (word for word):

1) Suspect rear wheel n/s spacer or cush drive spacer missing
    2) Rear brake disc wrapped (dished)
    3) Rear brake caliper hanger bent
    4) Rear brake sticking on.
    5) Right hand fork seal serious oil leak
    6) Sterring head bearings work to excess.
    7) Exhaust Leak.
    8) Main Wiring loom on o/s buring out.
    9) Fuel leak.

[In technicains opinion the motorcycle is dangerous to drive.]

....SO, what do you think?

Few pictures of my bike. http://itfben.co.uk/#5.0

They were taken TONIGHT to show the rust on my swingarm. but you can see some of the problems listed about in some of the pics.

Maybe I forgot to mention that since I was given this information the biek has not been riden! started a couple of times and riden for a minute around garden. happened about 5 time in the year its been sitting there.
    Last edited by itfben; 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    owner of a very ill and upset 1989 GSX600F. - poor baby!

Originally posted by itfben View Post

On the list Suzuki said I had the following problems (word for word):

1) Suspect rear wheel n/s spacer or cush drive spacer missing
    2) Rear brake disc wrapped (dished)
    3) Rear brake caliper hanger bent
    4) Rear brake sticking on.
    5) Right hand fork seal serious oil leak
    6) Sterring head bearings work to excess.
    7) Exhaust Leak.
    8) Main Wiring loom on o/s buring out.
    9) Fuel leak.

[In technicains opinion the motorcycle is dangerous to drive.]
    1. Download the service manual for your bike from the katana Wiki link near the top of the page.

most of your problems listed ar a matter of replacing parts:
    inspect and replace missing or worn spacers or cush drive

replace the rear brake hanger or torque arm, with new or used good parts

replace rear rotor, or have it cut if it can be

rebuild the rear caliper thats seized... this may include the rear brake cylinder, line, or the whole caliper itself

replace fork seals

replace steering head bearings (do this while replacing fork seals obviously)

fix/weld the exhaust leak

fix find the fuel leak. could be rusted thru tank, or bad fuel lines, who knows til ya get the tank off.

electrical issues can be iffy, you need to trace the circuit thats burned, and replace or fix the cause.

its all parts and labor, it depends ho much you want to spend.

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
      1. Download the service manual for your bike from the katana Wiki link near the top of the page.

most of your problems listed ar a matter of replacing parts:
      inspect and replace missing or worn spacers or cush drive

replace the rear brake hanger or torque arm, with new or used good parts

replace rear rotor, or have it cut if it can be

rebuild the rear caliper thats seized... this may include the rear brake cylinder, line, or the whole caliper itself

replace fork seals

replace steering head bearings (do this while replacing fork seals obviously)

fix/weld the exhaust leak

fix find the fuel leak. could be rusted thru tank, or bad fuel lines, who knows til ya get the tank off.

electrical issues can be iffy, you need to trace the circuit thats burned, and replace or fix the cause.

its all parts and labor, it depends ho much you want to spend.

Do you think it could be done on £500?

do you think the rear caliper could just be replaced? - what can the brakes be replaced with (like from what bikes would the entire brake system be able to be swaped with?)

also with the steering head beerings and fork seals - isnt it a bit of a big job for a big bike novice?

also the tank is off and i can see petrol ****ing out any where nor is there puddles or patches of petrol under bike.

I also have a hanyes manual but will download manual now.
      Last edited by itfben; 11-14-2009, 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Good lord, I hope a friend didn't sell you that!!!!

do you have a garage or area you can work on the bike indoors?

do you have a basic selection of tools? ratchet and socket set, wrenches etc?

IMHO it looks like a pile of **** No offense , BUT with some elbow grease you could probably clean her up with enough time.

look up meanstreaks thread on the kat he tore down and rebuilt. it's 2 or 3 years old be should be here somewhere.

500 pounds is about $1000 or more last time I checked.

The rear brake parts you could probably get off here or on ebay. The wiring loom is it burnt? or rubbed bare from rubbing between the plastic and frame?

The fork seals aren't to hard to replace and not expensive ($20 a side + $10-15 for oil), again if you have the area to work and the tools. Steering head bearing I haven't done so I can't comment on how hard that is or the cost.

Missing cushdrive? he rubber inserts are cheap. If it's the metal spacer a wrecker or again someone here might have one.

If you have room, I'd say strip the bike completely and clean the rust up off the frame, repaint it and start rebuilding it.

PS I'm basing this one prices over here in Canada or the US. I have no idea how your prices over there compare or who you have available to get parts from.

edit
        here's Ron's post
        Last edited by woobie; 11-14-2009, 08:20 PM.
        Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
          Good lord, I hope a friend didn't sell you that!!!!

do you have a garage or area you can work on the bike indoors?

do you have a basic selection of tools? ratchet and socket set, wrenches etc?

IMHO it looks like a pile of **** No offense , BUT with some elbow grease you could probably clean her up with enough time.

look up meanstreaks thread on the kat he tore down and rebuilt. it's 2 or 3 years old be should be here somewhere.

500 pounds is about $1000 or more last time I checked.

The rear brake parts you could probably get off here or on ebay. The wiring loom is it burnt? or rubbed bare from rubbing between the plastic and frame?

The fork seals aren't to hard to replace and not expensive ($20 a side + $10-15 for oil), again if you have the area to work and the tools. Steering head bearing I haven't done so I can't comment on how hard that is or the cost.

Missing cushdrive? he rubber inserts are cheap. If it's the metal spacer a wrecker or again someone here might have one.

If you have room, I'd say strip the bike completely and clean the rust up off the frame, repaint it and start rebuilding it.

PS I'm basing this one prices over here in Canada or the US. I have no idea how your prices over there compare or who you have available to get parts from.
          Actually it was a friend of my dads hence why I havent started huge confrontantion - though that sorta doesnt make sense, u woulda thought it the other way round, but owell.

Did you look at the picture on the link? ... you might have seen the bikes next to it in the shed - just put the thing up and its full of bikes! So dont really have a nice big space to break it down and leave bits lying around (that isnt outside). Might speak to a mate about getting a cotainer put down on his land so I can use it for a lockup and workshop. but thats not very likely

Yes mate, it is a pile of sh*t! but at 17-18 years old she put a brilliant smile on my face! and everyione else i took on it! :P She sounds so sexy and loud - miss her

Thought about getting rid on her and my Honda SH50 (next to the gsx in the picture in the link) and getting another bike. though about an nsr125 as they reliable and quick or a honda cbr600, but the money id get for selling the 600 n 50 put wouldnt even pass £600 really so not very close could get a 125 with it n some extra money but maybe not a 600 with the money and extra money after i have to pay £300 for a restrictor kit.

The only thing is at my age it is sooo cool saying I have a 600cc motorbike rather than a 125. so i dno.

As you've probally guessed it gets me quite depressed having a potentially cool biek in such a mess! since i bought it to know (or 1 year ago when i put her away under Suzuki's addvice I have probally spent about £1000+ or having her the way she is. so as you can imagine its rather painful desciding what to do.

Il take a look at that thread. think is im not that experience with MOTORBIKES i can fix mini motos not problems. but bigger bikes are well BIGGER! - more complex and more expensive to fix etc etc.

the little bits would be fine but the sterring head bearings and fork seals are really what is making me worry the most. as they really are quite serious / big jobs fo rme to do. but would prob cost alot ot get a dealer / mechanic to fix.

ARGH!!!! i dno

did i mention i snapped the throttle cable! so i cant even start her.

Comment

Whoa, somebody really neglected that bike. That thing is definitely not safe to ride as it is.

I say strip her down and start a complete rebuild. Be prepared to spend the time and money. It will be a lot of work, but you'll get all the help you need right here on KR.
            (Also I hate to see a Kat in such a state)

And you'll be so happy once it is finished.

Good luck with your Kat.
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I really think it depends on how tight your budget is. Bikes tend to cost allot of money to rebuild and if your short on money that thing is gonna sit for awhile before you can even ride it. I say sell it and buy something in better shape and save money to buy a bigger bike, at least then you would have something to ride. I am not sure what bikes go for where you are but for the $2000 (U.S. equivalent) you spent on that bike you can buy a pretty descent starter bike here especially at the beginning of winter. I do find it interesting that you have a hp limit there, is that based on riding experiece or age? Here the most inexperienced rider can buy the biggest bike they can afford and kill themselves on it anytime and all they have to do is pass a written test to get a motorcycle permit.
              - 04' Kat 600 (my reliable bike)
              - 01' R6 (my fun bike)
              - 00' Cavalier (my POS daily driver)

Comment

I did my fork seals for the first time last year and it was not nearly as hard to do as I thought it would be. There's even a step by step guide around here somewhere with pictures to guide you through it.
                Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by dark_storm83 View Post
                  I really think it depends on how tight your budget is. Bikes tend to cost allot of money to rebuild and if your short on money that thing is gonna sit for awhile before you can even ride it. I say sell it and buy something in better shape and save money to buy a bigger bike, at least then you would have something to ride.
                  +1

Yeah, that thing looks really unsafe as it is. If you don't have the tools and shop space I would say ditch it for something that is safe and runs no matter how small the CC's - at least your riding. With 4 wheels, you can skimp on stuff (to a point) because you are still in a cage right? On two wheels, expect to stare death in the face if the bike is falling apart. Just want to see you safe man.

Like others also said, the personal satisfaction of doing your own rebuild is great, just be patient and take your time, everything you need to know is here.

Tough call, hope you make out ok,

J

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
                    Whoa, somebody really neglected that bike. That thing is definitely not safe to ride as it is.

I say strip her down and start a complete rebuild. Be prepared to spend the time and money. It will be a lot of work, but you'll get all the help you need right here on KR.
                    (Also I hate to see a Kat in such a state)

And you'll be so happy once it is finished.

Good luck with your Kat.
                    I know mate such a shame.

I would sort of like tto strip her right dwn and rebuild but im a bit worried it would just be a money pit. be a good learning curve though.

Also I dont know where I would do it. :S

I really think it depends on how tight your budget is. Bikes tend to cost allot of money to rebuild and if your short on money that thing is gonna sit for awhile before you can even ride it. I say sell it and buy something in better shape and save money to buy a bigger bike, at least then you would have something to ride. I am not sure what bikes go for where you are but for the $2000 (U.S. equivalent) you spent on that bike you can buy a pretty descent starter bike here especially at the beginning of winter. I do find it interesting that you have a hp limit there, is that based on riding experiece or age? Here the most inexperienced rider can buy the biggest bike they can afford and kill themselves on it anytime and all they have to do is pass a written test to get a motorcycle permit.
                    wow! thats crazy am I right in believe kids can ride any bike over thre as of the age of 16!?

here you have a practical and written for a full license, if your 21 you can do direct access where you can get on any bike after your tests are complete/passed but if you under 21 and at least 17 you can do it so that for two years from your pass date you cant ride anything with more power than 33bhp (if the bike comes with more you need to have a restrictor kit fitted which brings it down to 33bhp.) after the 2 years from pass date your restriction is lifter and you can ride any bike you like. Its annoying but a good idea really. ... my restrictions lifted in June 2010 so cant wait.

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                    I did my fork seals for the first time last year and it was not nearly as hard to do as I thought it would be. There's even a step by step guide around here somewhere with pictures to guide you through it.
                    I doesnt sound to hard but when looking through my haynes manual it just seems a fair amount of work to do to change the steering head bearings.

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                    +1

Yeah, that thing looks really unsafe as it is. If you don't have the tools and shop space I would say ditch it for something that is safe and runs no matter how small the CC's - at least your riding. With 4 wheels, you can skimp on stuff (to a point) because you are still in a cage right? On two wheels, expect to stare death in the face if the bike is falling apart. Just want to see you safe man.

Like others also said, the personal satisfaction of doing your own rebuild is great, just be patient and take your time, everything you need to know is here.

Tough call, hope you make out ok,

J
                    Cheers mate, nice that people actually look out for you on here.

It is going to be a tough call. - My mum has said that she doesnt want me riding the thing. Do you think that if I sold it as is Id save more money than if I was to sell it after I fix it? (or do you think doing it up and selling it would be a way that could make all my money back that would pay to fix it and maybe a bit extra plus a wider amount of people interestred in buying it?

As for budget, I dont reallly want to spend more than £500 (maybe extra £100 to get tax and mot in there too.) but not sure, would rather it wasnt £500 but not much oi can do about that. I do want a newer bike come June 2010 when I should have got some more money together so question is I suppose sell it for almost nothing now or sell it later (nearer to June 2010) for more than I would now but after having spent money to get it that way.
                    Last edited by itfben; 11-15-2009, 06:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think I would punt on that one. Looks like it could cost way more money than it is worth to fix properly.

Comment

what do you mean by punt? to me punt be take a shot at it, but you sound your talking about it NOT being worth it.

Comment

Purely moneywise I don't think it would pay of to repair the poor thing.

If you go for it, you should do it for the joy of rebuilding the bike.
                          And the knowledge you would gain in the process would be priceless.
                          Personally I would love to have it as a project bike, and do a full rebuild.
                          But you need the time, place and money to do it.

If you are more interested in getting a bike to just ride, I have to agree with the ones who say, get rid of it and get an other bike.

As others have said it is a tough call, hope you find a good solution.
                          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I think I will sell it, if it easier. What should I ask for this bike guys, you know the problems, through the faring aint great, as gone down on one side before i had it.

Comment

Well, yes it is cool to have a decent sized bike like that, but the old girl has obviously been very badly neglected, you don't need me to tell you that, and been outside for a long time. I suspect that you will uncover lots of other faults and problems as you go, and the money pit will only get deeper... A budget of £500 is optimistic I reckon. My gut says to sell it on, trying to get what you paid for it. You may be lucky enough to find some-one who does have the knowledge and room to undertake it. A grand should definitely get you a ±600cc T&Ted bike which has had more love bestowed on it than that poor sausage!

Comment

Working...
                              X