X

Carb/Idle Set Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb/Idle Set Question

How far should the throttle set screw have to be turned from all the way out untill it contacts the throttle assembly? Because mine is set to where I have half to maybe 3/4 of a turn before I bottom out the spring.

Originally posted by Tiawa View Post
    How far should the throttle set screw have to be turned from all the way out untill it contacts the throttle assembly? Because mine is set to where I have half to maybe 3/4 of a turn before I bottom out the spring.
    You should have signifcantly more more than that.

It's possible the carbs previously needed alot of adjustment for the bike to idle. Properly setting them up should include the step of backing the throttle adjustment cable out so that it is not forcing any adjustments, and then tune the carbs so that they will idle. (pre sync, a/f mix correct, etc...)

Once that is done, the bike should idle, just at a low rpm (800-900 ish). Then, the throttle cable can be used to increase the idle rpms when warmed. Most people erronesly think that the idle cable must be engaged to make a Katana idle... and that is not correct.

I would suggest backing the cable all the way out, verify it will run without it at all... if not, you need to clean/adjust your carbs.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 11-14-2009, 12:03 PM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, to make sure I am understanding what you are saying. I should back the idle adjust out so the throttle plates are not being influenced by it at all, and see if it runs, correct?

Comment

Working...
      X