Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Ignition coil replacement - used, new, or aftermarket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition coil replacement - used, new, or aftermarket?

Hello all,
    I'm looking at replacing the left ignition coil on my 96 kat.
    My number 4 cylinder had not been firing due to a problem with the kat, but in determining exactly where the problem was, I removed the cables from the coils and from the caps. The cap that's in #4 was a cheap one I bought from a local shop.
    I see alot of auctions on ebay for coils, usually $35 or less, from bikes with 1/2 as many miles as mine.
    Should I go that road? I'm broke so cheap fixes are better.
    Should I save my pennies and buy a new OEM one? Or is there an aftermarket solution that I could look into?

I think you've answered the question yourself! The 2nd hands ones you mention are absolutely fine as a solution; being as they are about a quarter of the price of an OE replacement. Plus, I think most vendors on that site would sort you out if you had a problem with one of their items.

Most after-market ones are performance parts, so will be even more expensive. They claim to produce a higher voltage signal, leading to a stronger spark. Most guys up-rate their plug leads as well to take advantage of the increase.... adding to the cost.
    Last edited by Frenchcropper; 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Why not just redo the cables and caps? Should be cheap fix.
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Working...
      X