No announcement yet.
X

750kat in 2 pistons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hhmmm.... Have you measured the cylinder and piston for roundness and clearance?
    Last edited by ATOMonkey; 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Did you follow the procedure for tightening the gasket? There is a special pattern you are supposed to follow.

And you ensured the cams were lined up correctly, and had the correct number of links between the cams?

You didn't rotate the crank shaft while the cams were removed, did you?
      yes, i follow the pattern in service manual, middle first.
      mark 1 on exhaust point to gasket surface, 21 pins between mark 2 (ex) and mark 3 (in).

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
      hhmmm.... Have you measured the cylinder and piston for roundness and clearance?
      check, no problem.

I found the problem. Some leaking traces on gasket between metal layers.
      I check surfaces for planeity and seems fine.
      I`ll try again, same gasket with loctite 5921 (i hope is good enough) between layers.

Comment

Good work! Sounds like you got to the bottom of it. Hope it works out for you.

Comment

Sounds like a ring issue to me. Here's my 2 cents:

When you do a compression check you should normally have the throttle open wide, (this is only to get the highest possible reaing) but even if you have it closed they should all be even, or atleast close to is. Throttle has nothing to do with consisitancy.

If you did a compression test and found one bad cylinder. Then you obviously have a problem with that cylinder. By adding the oil, you aided in the sealing of the piston rings.

If it was a valve problem or a gasket problem then the oil would not have had any impact on the test. Therefore: you have a ring sealing issue. A leakdown tes would be a good place to start Listen to the intake for air leaks, and the exhuast for air leaks. If it is a ring issue, you should be able to hear air coming from the oil fill port.

My money is on the piston rings in cylinder 3, but just to be safe, when the head is off, lay the head upside down and fill each combustion chamber with water and see if any leaks out. (Obviously this should be done with all the valves closed.
          Last edited by HemiKat; 11-11-2009, 07:06 PM.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            Sounds like a ring issue to me. Here's my 2 cents:

When you do a compression check you should normally have the throttle open wide, (this is only to get the highest possible reaing) but even if you have it closed they should all be even, or atleast close to is. Throttle has nothing to do with consisitancy.

If you did a compression test and found one bad cylinder. Then you obviously have a problem with that cylinder. By adding the oil, you aided in the sealing of the piston rings.

If it was a valve problem or a gasket problem then the oil would not have had any impact on the test. Therefore: you have a ring sealing issue. A leakdown tes would be a good place to start Listen to the intake for air leaks, and the exhuast for air leaks. If it is a ring issue, you should be able to hear air coming from the oil fill port.

My money is on the piston rings in cylinder 3, but just to be safe, when the head is off, lay the head upside down and fill each combustion chamber with water and see if any leaks out. (Obviously this should be done with all the valves closed.

I found rust traces on middle layer of head gasket.
            I guess the oil was pushed in the gasket and helps seals better in tests.

Comment

ATOMonkey said what I was getting at... Definitely not a good thing if you filled the cylinder full of oil but can't hurt too much except for some excessive smoking upon initial startup...probably some fouled plugs also...

Comment

Working...
              X