X

katana not starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana not starting

what components wont let a 95 kat 750 wont start? my kat has spark, all the fuel lines are connected, its pumping gas, but its not starting i throw carb cleaner in the air filter area as i crank it and it starts, it stays on as long as i keep pumping carb cleaner but normally it wont start so what could be a cause of why is not starting?
    Last edited by Lonewolf_Mello; 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM.
    by night and day, we'll keep riding until one day.... we may pass away

Get a screwdriver and check that the bowls have fuel in them by unscrewing the drain plugs. You can also take the airbox off and crank it, see if fuel is flowing into the carbs.

Be careful about using solvents to start the bike -- solvents will wash the oil off the cylinder walls.

Comment

sounds like ur carbs aren't providing the proper air/fuel mixture.

Comment

i don't wanna take to a shop though cuz well college tuituon and everything but hmm i'll check with bowls i was told to do so last time but i couldn't figured where until last night but i will check the bowls tonight once i get home

Comment

02 kat 750

i have the same problem but this kat sat up for a few years in a barn let me know if you get your going man good luck
          You must have Heart and courage to ride.

Comment

+1 to what Paul said.

You only need a few things to run an engine: fuel, air, spark, compression, and timing are the big ones. Assuming your engine isn't toast we'll cross off timing... and hoping for the best we'll cross off compression as well, because no one really wants to rebuild an engine. So fuel, air, and spark... the most common culprits for starting trouble. You know you have spark (I guess you pulled each spark wire off and watched it while you cranked... that and the engine fires up with certain fuels).

If other fuels (like starting fluid (ether), or carb cleaner (toluene and xylene mostly, I think)) get it going, it means your problem is probably fuel related. Ether is great because it has it's own oxygen, so it will get an engine to fire as long as there's spark. Toluene doesn't have it's own oxygen, so my guess is you have plenty of air supply (not sure from your post if you have the air filter removed or not when you're spraying in the carb cleaner... I assume it's removed). What you are most likely lacking is enough fuel.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to always suspect the most complicated part of a system to be the source of failure. Carbs are pretty complicated... and they're almost always the problem.

Comment

well spark and the big problems are out of the way, the airbox is off what i don't have connected to the carbs are my vaccum lines but because the place where the vacumm lines go into, are broken on the carb, so i can't connect them, would that be any problem?

Comment

Yep i believe you found your problem the vacuum lines have to be attached. If i remember right the kat uses the vacuum to regulate the fuel
                Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

You need vacuum to operate the petcock, which allows fuel to flow.

You are saying the fitting on the carb where the line would attach is broken?
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yeah steves the fittings in the carbs are broken not the one in the petcock

Comment

You'll need to address that leak, and you can tap vacuum off any of the 4 synch ports on the carbs.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

uh steves what leak?, i undestood the rest just not the whole leak thing

Comment

If the port that the vacuum tube was attached to is broken, you need to cap that part, and draw vacuum for the petcock from somewhere else.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

oh no the ports are good i just saw the tank diagram what i was trying to ask were will the vent hoses do anything?

Comment

What?
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X