X

Bike will not start. Cranks but will not kick on

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike will not start. Cranks but will not kick on

Hello all I have a91 Katan that has struggled turning over sometimes. Tha last time it did this it was low on fuel and the batterry was low. Put fuel in it and took the battery to Kragen and had them test it. Yhey charged and tested it and told me the batterry was fine.
    Bike had no issued til this morning went to start it up and nothing it cranks but just will not turn over.
    Any suggestions on where I should start looking?

Putting the choke on during cold mornings? Try setting the petcock to prime? Fuel in the bowls?

Comment

I have to choke mine in the mornings, if I just start cranking it over, it will never start, but if I choke it, starts right up every time.

Comment

I did choke it and it still would would not start

Do these bikes flood easily. Cause the last time this happened I went home after leaving the bike alone for like 4 hours and it started right up. I also just recently changed the peacock to on, It was always on PRI sonce I bought it and I thought that was the reason why it would not start.
        Could this make a difference?

Comment

Yes, they can flood. If the battery was weak and you kept trying over and over to start it, it could have flooded. If you have it on PRI, fuel will continue to flow and fill the bowls. Turn it to run so fuel only flows when there is a vacuum on the carbs.
          sigpic

My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/twotonevert

Comment

Thanks for your help the bike stareted

Well it did this again this time right when I went home for lunch it started right up it must be the cold or something, Althought the battery does not seam as strong anymore since they re-charged and tested it but does have juice.
            Do you think this might be a battery problem? Or just the choke acting up?
            When I started it at lunchtime I did not even use the choke since it is now 15 to 20 degrees warmer.

Comment

I know that my Kat has a sweet spot for the choke that varies with the conditions. Really cold - put it here. Been sitting for a short duration after a long/hard run - this much choke. And almost never touch the throttle when trying to start.

Also it fires up with more vroom with a battery topped off from the trickle charger than it does after sitting for a week or two.

To me what you are describing sounds pretty normal. You just need to get in synch with her better.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Thanks Cheriff I think I do just need to get used to it more. These are a little timid huh?

Comment

Same problem here, didnt know if it was spark or fule problem, i took the petcock out to make sure it was clean put it back together and on the tank now gas wont stop flowing fomr the pet cock i was told it might stop after i start the bike up and create presure in the tank, but i still have the same problem it wont start dont know if is electrical or fule i dont think is fule now i dont know how to check if there is spark on this bike, the fuses are ok.

Comment

I'm not sure what your temperature is but my bike refuses to start below 40 even with the choke. I have to pull off the seat and hold my hand over the air bos cover and then it fires right up.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                      I'm not sure what your temperature is but my bike refuses to start below 40 even with the choke. I have to pull off the seat and hold my hand over the air bos cover and then it fires right up.
                      Just some quick ideas here, but I could see a hi-flo air filter allowing too much air (now denser because cold air temp), maybe a little turn out on the A/F screws, or problem fixed with adding a jet kit. Dunno, but taking the seat off everytime to start it would sure be annoying.
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                        Just some quick ideas here, but I could see a hi-flo air filter allowing too much air (now denser because cold air temp), maybe a little turn out on the A/F screws, or problem fixed with adding a jet kit. Dunno, but taking the seat off everytime to start it would sure be annoying.
                        Nope everything is OEM, carbs are about as perfect as you can get. It's always been this way since I bought the bike way back in 1998. I think it's must be a Florida bike and HATES the cold. (Also I don't run it much when it's cold out so it has set for awhile and the bowls are probably dry even though I PRI it.)
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by HungLow View Post
                          Same problem here, didnt know if it was spark or fule problem, i took the petcock out to make sure it was clean put it back together and on the tank now gas wont stop flowing fomr the pet cock i was told it might stop after i start the bike up and create presure in the tank, but i still have the same problem it wont start dont know if is electrical or fule i dont think is fule now i dont know how to check if there is spark on this bike, the fuses are ok.
                          sounds like you oopsed and reassembled the petcock incorrectly. tear it down, inspect the parts, and reassemble (hopefully correctly this time) fuel should not flow without vacuum with the petcock set either to on or reserve. whomever told you it would stop once the skoot started is extremely incorrect. FYI : the Kat tank is an open, vented system. there is no pressure created in the tank.

some skoot's CDIs are very picky about how much voltage they see. If the battery is even a little weak, and cranking the skoot pulls it below 10v, the CDI wont send a spark signal. keep the battery topped off.
                          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

got it will try thanks

Comment

Well I went out and just got a new battery

Tried it this morning with a fresh battery and it was fine I noticed that it started right up with no hassles. I think the battery just did not have enough power to crank the bike over.
                              Thanks for all your suggestions

Comment

Working...
                              X