X

throttle problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle problem

hey i just got the bike back together. it sat for a year. it ran fine before i changed fairings, put the original handlebars back on. now when i start the bike i get a decent idle. 1000-1200 rpm. then if i crack open the throttle it will rev up like it should but then it drops down to maby 2000-3000rpm. the throttle seems to snap back. ive read some forms about maby a vacuum leak. i did have the air box off but i thought all the grommets went on ok. if i hold the front brake and let the clutch out to drop the idle it will stay once i put it in neutral please help. thanks.

Try with the airbox on. Too lean = hanging revs.

Comment

yea its on now, i meant i did have it off over the winter last year. i thought it went on ok.

Comment

Airbox drain back on and capped? Have you checked for vac leaks with carb cleaner or propane? Have you verified that the throttle is returning all the way back to the idle set screw? Choke is off?
        If you answered yes to all the above, pull the carbs off and clean them.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly.
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

i think the throttle is good. it snaps back when i release it, and it seems like the butterfly valves closed

Comment

sat for a year you say? could well be the old gas varnishing and gumming up your carbs. give um a GOOD thurough cleaning. see carbs 101 stickied here in mechanics 101
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
              X