X

valve shims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve shims

ok a while back i went to check and adjust my valves only to find out it has shims. well i took black_peters advice and switched some of them around (some werent worn hardly at all and some were close to the limits). was wondering what would be the best place to buy shims?
    sigpic
    -Cory-
    1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Not sure, as I'm in the same boat this winter. How much hassle was it to do it yourself? Shim under bucket valvetrain here.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

sorry scooty just ow seen your post, it wasnt too bad definetly doable. ive never messed with valves before and it wasnt bad for me, im sure you could it with no problem.

well i looked around a bit and finally found some. http://www.procycle.us/hotcams/valve_shims.htm
      question is can you put new shims in or have to get some that matches how much the engine is worn?
      sigpic
      -Cory-
      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

sigpic
        -Cory-
        1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

I believe I remember BP saying that he mixes and matches old shims and new shims depending on how much it needs...I found a Kawi OEM shim kit on eBay for $80, not looking forward to buying it.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've seen master shim kits for sale...

But your best bet will be to call the local dealer and see if they'll trade you the shims you have for the shims you need.

I can't remember what I did with the ones I had... I think they went in the trash or I gave them away.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I called my local bike dealer, and they told me that I could order shims for my TL from autozone or a similar parts store...is this correct? It didn't seem right to me, but they swore up and down I could and that way I would only have to buy the ones I needed, not a whole kit...thoughts?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
                I called my local bike dealer, and they told me that I could order shims for my TL from autozone or a similar parts store...is this correct? It didn't seem right to me, but they swore up and down I could and that way I would only have to buy the ones I needed, not a whole kit...thoughts?
                Really? I'll stop at the autozone out here and see what they have to say...

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
                  I think this parts counter guy has confused lash caps with spring shims.

Comment

Go to your local dealer. As far as I know, that's the only place you can get them aside from the internet.

Even if autozone had some sort of shims, they probably wouldn't have the diameter you needed. They come in a few different sizes.

To answer a few questions:

1.) used shims can be reused again, no problem. they need to be measured first though...and I measure new shims anyways just for peace of mind. Chances are after being used, it isn't quite as thick as it was when it was new. Make sure there aren't any crazy wear patterns or excessive heat marks on the old shims. If they're blue or something wierd, throw them out.

2.) Shim over bucket (kat) and shim under bucket (zx6r) are pretty different. The Kat can be done by simply sliding the follower over and using a magnet to pluck out the shim. Shim under bucket requires removal of the cams to replace the shims. It's kind of a pain, but once you get the valve cover off, the cams are really just one more step. Not a huge deal.

Good news is, most of the Kawi guys I know haven't needed any adjustments. The shim under bucket is a lot longer wearing than the over-bucket designs. My 10R checked out fine when I checked them at 12K miles.

Comment

cheapest set i found was $65 on ebay for a few different sizes.
                      sigpic
                      -Cory-
                      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
                        Good news is, most of the Kawi guys I know haven't needed any adjustments. The shim under bucket is a lot longer wearing than the over-bucket designs. My 10R checked out fine when I checked them at 12K miles.
                        I've heard about the same, a lot of guys say they got about 20k miles before they checked and only one or two would be out of spec. I've got around 13k on mine now.

Comment

I just did the valves on kat a month or so ago. It was pretty easy and didn't need to buy any shims. I was able to swap 2 of them around and got it all in spec. I only had one valve that was too tight. I would say take it apart and see if you can't swap things before you go spending money.

I had never done shim type valves before, and found them to be pretty easy after doing the first one.
                          1993 Kat 600 & 1999 Kat 750

Comment

Working...
                          X