Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is it possible for older carbs on a newer cat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for older carbs on a newer cat?

I just picked upa 99 Kat 600...have a float sticking on the #3 carb...after taking them off I noticed that it only had one throttle cable instead of 2? Which would explain why the throttle was so loose. It ran fine just leked fuel while sitting. My question is looking thru carbs on ebay it seems there should be a sensor on the side, mine does not have it. Also there is only one provision for a throttle cable not 2. shouldnt the be a push and a pull cable? I was thinking someone put older carbs on it. Is this possible? THANKS GUYS!

yeah thats PROBably pre98 carbs or older.... u should have3cables,throttles/choke and sensor connecter

Comment

I have 1 choke cable and one throttle cable....can this work, well it does but the throttle is really loose, should I find a set of newer carbs? Kinda bought it as a project but turning out to be more then I thought?

Comment

I dont think it will work... they may not even be for that bike at all
        theres 2 throttle cables for a reason. so id just get some carbs 100-150$ 4 gooddeal

Comment

I never had 98+ kat carbs to play with...... but the pre98 carbs I've had, and the b12 carbs I had all were single cable affairs. I've never seen a push/pull setup on any of my oil-cooled suzuki carbs.

If you really want to know what carbs you've got, post a couple of pictures up. If you've got no sensor, that's a pretty good sign that they're not your stockers, though.

Don't fret just yet. Just because the carbs are non-factory for your bike, doesn't mean they won't work. If the throttle is loose, have you considered, uh, tightening it? There is an adjustment at the bars, and one at the bank of carbs.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by blackice2242 View Post
            I dont think it will work... they may not even be for that bike at all
            theres 2 throttle cables for a reason. so id just get some carbs 100-150$ 4 gooddeal

it actually did work, bike ran fine, just had to turn the throttle a 1/4 turn before it even would rev....Tried the adjustment just not much luck. Im pretty bike literate, I have three busas...this is my sons first bike, we picked it up for $800, It ran and rode, I know it needed some work but hes on a tight budget at 16...lol...on another note, you said the older cats are oil cooled isnt the 99 also. If not I suspect I have a older motor because it has a oil cooler and not a radiator? THANKS for all the help guys!!

Comment

my2000 is oil cooled.....

Originally posted by fastnotch2002 View Post
              it actually did work, bike ran fine, just had to turn the throttle a 1/4 turn before it even would rev....Tried the adjustment just not much luck. Im pretty bike literate, I have three busas...this is my sons first bike, we picked it up for $800, It ran and rode, I know it needed some work but hes on a tight budget at 16...lol...on another note, you said the older cats are oil cooled isnt the 99 also. If not I suspect I have a older motor because it has a oil cooler and not a radiator? THANKS for all the help guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackice2242 View Post
                my2000 is oil cooled.....
                well thats a relief! thanks you....wonder why they put older carbs on this thing then? I noticed theres alot of plugs that are not pluged in on the bike also. Ill get some pics of the carbs today and post them. thanks again guys!

Comment

Lol, all Katanas are oil cooled.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yea they have air cooled to though.

Comment

Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

pictures as promised...as I can tell they are the older carbs, I flound a float stuck. Will the still work if I just use a single cable and get a single cable grip?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fastnotch2002 View Post
                          pictures as promised...as I can tell they are the older carbs, I flound a float stuck. Will the still work if I just use a single cable and get a single cable grip?
                          I'm sure they can work, first thing I noticed is the need cleaned, looks rusty, check your tank. Second the hose from #4 goes to the back of the petcock not to the nipple on #1. That needs capped off. There should be a model number on there, I'm betting they are the same size as the post, just older. Anything will work with enough tinkering.
                          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            I'm sure they can work, first thing I noticed is the need cleaned, looks rusty, check your tank. Second the hose from #4 goes to the back of the petcock not to the nipple on #1. That needs capped off. There should be a model number on there, I'm betting they are the same size as the post, just older. Anything will work with enough tinkering.
                            got them hooked back up anf the throttle fixed....now its leaking fuel all over, I notied with the petcock in any position it flows fuel....take it it has a bad pet cock also?

Ive also noticed theres a plastic nipple between 2 of the carbs and not one between the other to, what is this for?
                            Last edited by fastnotch2002; 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM.

Comment

This may help a bit.... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ighlight=carbs

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                              X