Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

100mi Ride w/ a tank of Seafoam 2 the sea and back and still this kat revs 2 the moon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100mi Ride w/ a tank of Seafoam 2 the sea and back and still this kat revs 2 the moon

We'll first off Id like to say.. PLEASE help!!.. lol.. how can such a low millage good condition Kat run like this!!

Hey guys.. Steven here. So I just got my 06 Katana600 this last Saturday With 5,300 miles. Its been a garage queen the last few years, so the previous owner lubed the chain, changed the oil, and had a fairly recent battery in it. I added 10lbs of air to the tires front and back and took off from Atlanta down to Orlando. Its about 480 miles and the first 450 were flawless and it ran every bit as good as its condition and millage reflected. As soon as I refilled for the last 30 mile stretch I switched from reserve to on and gave it a crank and it revved out and started idling at around 3K!!... I though.. ok.. not far lets ride this out and see what happens.. and I hit the highway. It rode fine (except for shifting at slower speeds with a high idle), but once I got to the next toll booth it was revving at over 4 grand!! Not pretty but I was even closer by then and it rode fine once moving, so on I went. The toll booths here in FL come around faster than a saw sequel, so a few miles go by and when I slow for the next one I notice I知 not downshifting bellow 3rd AND I知 idling at 4,500!! At this point I知 embarrassed and a little worried, but that was the last toll. I got off the exit and took it the last 2 or 3 miles and put it in garage and I hit the bed hard from my first trip on a bike.

Next day: 28 hrs later
    I took the kat out for its first mini ride of 10mi from its new garage to see what the heck was going on after It had its time to rest from such a long trip. Warmed up fine.. rode fine.. had an awesome time an a curvy empty road..(All safety primarily taken into account of coarse).. and it was fine.. Only on arrival back to the driveway It was idling at 3k. I could only assume even more miles with some stop light action would have quickly produced what I dealt with the day before. This was Monday.

I Got some great advice from you guy's and today (wed) I 3/4 of a bottle of that stuff to my tank and rode out. the first 20mi sucked cuz I was still in town with street lights and traffic. each stop light took my RPM's up to 4k and get this!!.. I used the choke at 1/2 and that brought my revs down to normal!!! oook.. so that doesn't stay like that but I can use it and adjust it some at lights to not look like an idiot.. plus I used it to be able to use neutral so I could release the clutch cuz it wouldn't have been good going from N to 1st at over 4k revs. once I got out a little further down 50 The road clears with no lights and I put down the miles headed towards the sea. I crossed the first bridge at cocoa beach and turned it around. I ran the whole tank out by the time I got back in town at over 100 miles and it was running almost ok.. first light..ok.. after that.. It stayed at around 3k as the new norm after several stop and go miles. I ran it dry and thru the reserve and added the last ounce or 2 of the Seafoam to 3 bucks worth of shell premium and drove it the last few miles home to let sit in the garage with the last of that stuff to sit in the carbs with the proper mixture.

I guess I値l cranking it in the morning and doing a run of maybe 15 miles before filling her back up.. beyond that though I don稚 know what else to do. I guess MAAYbe that stuff will pull something off over night, but after 120 to 140 miles I知 not all too confident.. It is better though!!.. I just need another solution.. I found the choke situation today kind of weird does anybody else feel that way?? I know you guys are awesome at all things Katana, so I soo appreciate any enlightenment from the Katana gurus.
    -Steven

sounds like you have a pretty sever vacuum leak. unbolt your tank and check over everything. Check all vacuum hoses and check the rubber couplers between the carbs and the head

Comment

Is it possibly an air leak that develops as the intake runners get warm? U could check that by spraying them while it's running to see if it has an effect on the engine speed. Did you check the idle speed setting to see if it would stay high even as you adjusted it out, or the throttle cable to see if it slightly too tight?
      ----------------------------------
      1992 GSX600f
      1976 Z400

www.cityriders.weebly.com

Comment

When idle increases as the bike gets warmer it means it is getting
        too little fuel. The seafoam has never worked for me (I don't know
        why people recommend it). You need to strip the carbs and clean the
        idle jets in particular.

Vacuum leak might it also be. But if its been sitting I'd look at the carbs.

Comment

Random....but you DID check the idle screw right?

I have to start my bike with the idle screw turned all the way out, then turn it down after about 10 minutes of riding or it will sit at 3-4krpm.

Comment

well I have yet to check the idle screw or carb adjustments. It was running fine not long ago with those setting and something changed. I figured If I adjust that it would change the start up idle as well which is where it should be.. Starts but at a very low idle without choke that doesn't stay on and If i adjusted it to run thousends lower warm wouldn't it not even start without tons of choke on cold start? Iv never known a choke to have an opposite effect on anything ever though.

I'll certainly do the WD-40 test on the lines.. I could probably do some lines on my own. If its the carbs I might take on some family and friend assistance cuz its not quite like working my single mikuni carb on my motocross bike that iv worked on myself.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?? I put some serious miles on it today trying to run that seafoam through. Its not quite as bad and at no point did it loose throttle responce at any range or loose the power surge at any range. Pulls the same it did durring the trip. Im somewhat affraid to take it in because if its anything like bring a Porsche in, They'll check absolutely everything likely or not, and then charge you for all of it. Iv heard that repairing bike is the only thing not cheap and can be more than cars... sigh.. I hope the overnight saturation of the additive helps a bit more and maybe I can figure the rest out on my own.. or at least single it out.

ceratinly appreciate the feedback guys

Comment

Make sure u have slack in the throttle cable. Sea foam is great stuff btw, but not in fixing high rpms, it's a stabilizer and unclogs dirt and grime.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Just curious... but has the oil been changed since it sat all that time?

Starts fine, idles fine.. run a short distance... idles fine... then after a while it start having a problem?... hrmm... Maybe the oil isn't cooling the engine enough, and it's overheating... Hotter the motor, the more "lean" the fuel mixture will run... and lean means high rpms for idle.

Just a thought....

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

garage queen the last few years? petcock had been switched to reserve just before hte problems? i'd bet you sucked crap from the bottom of the tank into the carbs, gumming up the pilot circuit. that on top of the skoot sitting, it needs a GOOD complete cleaning. carbs, petcock, AND tank.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                    garage queen the last few years? petcock had been switched to reserve just before hte problems? i'd bet you sucked crap from the bottom of the tank into the carbs, gumming up the pilot circuit. that on top of the skoot sitting, it needs a GOOD complete cleaning. carbs, petcock, AND tank.
                    Agreed.
                    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post

If you just take some time and follow the carbs 101/102 you'll have a clean fuel system and smooth running bike in no time.
                      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

FYI: i believe seafoam should be 1 oz to teh gallon of fuel. 5 gallon tank, 5 oz of seafoam. read the can for proper usage instead of just dumping the most of a can in your tank
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Yes the oil was changed just last weekend. Im guessing the cooling system runs off the same motor oil? If its different than that could be a different story, but id guess its the same. The throttle cable has slack, so its exempt. It does sound pretty likely that on that last refuel turning the petcock from res to on might have been the last straw in releasing some tank gunk.

I most def read the lable on the seafoam. With a tank that small you kinda have to, but I did end up going with the maximum recomended because the label had somewhat of a range. Im not much of a fan of additives.. I only used the whole bottle cuz I put down a whole lotta miles and used an extra oz per full tank ratio. the last oz went into the last gallon I added from empty to let sit in my carbs overnight. actualy 2 days because it rained, but Im about to go fire it up and go run a few to see how im doing. Thanks guys.. Heres to the good luck.

Comment

if ya got it figured out, plz post, having similar problem with my former garage queen. cleaned out, synchro'd carbs fresh oil, idles fine at 1k like its supposed to, but after I get running, it tries to idle up around 3k and slowly drop down after about 5-10 seconds of being stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by trixdriver View Post
                              if ya got it figured out, plz post, having similar problem with my former garage queen. cleaned out, synchro'd carbs fresh oil, idles fine at 1k like its supposed to, but after I get running, it tries to idle up around 3k and slowly drop down after about 5-10 seconds of being stopped.
                              A hanging idle is usually caused by too lean of mixture screw settings, although dirty pilot jets or pilot circuts or float leves off can also do this as well

As for sea foam it works very well for cleaning partly clogged juts and passages from fuel deposits and varnish/gum, however it will not remove sand or rust or clean a plugged passage
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X