X

pre 600 airbox on pre 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre 600 airbox on pre 750?

I am tired of tuning my idle everytime the season changes, and looking for an airbox. Does anyone know if the pre 600 box fits on the pre 750? There are a lot of 600 boxes, thinking about picking one up.

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
    I am tired of tuning my idle everytime the season changes, and looking for an airbox. Does anyone know if the pre 600 box fits on the pre 750? There are a lot of 600 boxes, thinking about picking one up.
    I purchased a 600 airbox and put it on mine with no issues... someone else posted the could not get it to work and there were differences. I do not know for sure if I was simply sold a 750 box by accident in my favor, or what the specific issues the other guy had... but he was pretty insistant it wouldn't work.

I can't see why it would be an issue as the boots will stretch the extra couple mm for the differences in carb intake sizes between the 600 and 750 carbs.

You could always let us know...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i am gonna get one and make it work.

Comment

no your not!

a pre 600 airbox is different than a pre 750..

i went through a couple and tried making a pre 600 work with 750 boots and it dosent work...

i have a set of pre 750 boots and a full pre 600 airbox for sale if you need either

you would have to cut the airbox holes bigger and install 750 boots to make it work, even after doing that you will lose the seal from the boots to the box because you cut out the ridge that makes the boots seal.
        the pre 600 boots will not stay on pre 750 carbs, almost 1/2 inch difference.

pic attached pre 600 air boot, and k&n off a 750 for referance. the widest point of a pre 750 carb intake is 2and 1/2 inches the widest point of a pre 600 boot is 2 inches..

Last edited by Rowdy; 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

thanks that is what i was looking for

Comment

I still think there is more to it than just 600 vs 750 for your issue.

I have a 90 600 and 93 750 and had no problems swapping K&N pod filters or stock airbox between the 2. (I mention the K&N since you have that next to the stock air box for some reason... which... btw... looks really deformed.)

Wasn't the 88 year carbs a little smaller than the rest of the years?...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

either way its strange.

looking up boots gives you 2 different part numbers for 600 and 750
              600 pt number ends with 19eo and 750 part number ends with 20eo

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
                either way its strange.

looking up boots gives you 2 different part numbers for 600 and 750
                600 pt number ends with 19eo and 750 part number ends with 20eo
                After looking up the part numbers for the full assemblies, and the boots on the boxes, at bikebandit.com and ronayers.com it would appear....

Air boxes and boots for 88-89 600 were different than any other Kats.

89-97 750 + 90-97 600 = the same for the air box assemblies and boots.

Let me check carb types real quick in the wiki...

88-89 600 were Type BST31SS
                90-97 600 were Type BST33SS
                and
                89-97 750 were Type BST36SS

But... what it's not telling us and looking up the boot part #s for the 88-89 models... the 2 outter and 2 inner boots on those shared the same # number. On all the other models every boot has it's unique part #. I know from replacing, and in the process trying to use.. the engine side boots were all slightly differently shaped because the carbs are not directly stright out from the intakes holes in the engine for the 90+ models both 600 and 750. They are offset depending on which one, down and or over some.

Rowdy, I think you may have ended up with 88 or 89 600 boxes, and that is why you had such an issue trying to fit them to a 750.

According to bikebandit.com... if you ordered a new breather full assembly... you would get the same thing if your bike is a 90-97 600, or a 89-97 750.

Krey
                Last edited by Kreylyn; 10-12-2009, 03:50 PM.
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Ebay will be my solution.

Comment

Ebay will be my solution.
                    Famous last words...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      I still think there is more to it than just 600 vs 750 for your issue.

I have a 90 600 and 93 750 and had no problems swapping K&N pod filters or stock airbox between the 2. (I mention the K&N since you have that next to the stock air box for some reason... which... btw... looks really deformed.)

Wasn't the 88 year carbs a little smaller than the rest of the years?...

Krey
                      Thanks for posting. I was going to say, it seems like there shouldn't be 1/2" difference in carb mouths between the 32mm and 36mm carbs.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                      X