No announcement yet.
X

Need a mechanic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously the clutch cable will take you an hour or so, even if you've never done it.

Carbs?

- Remove the seat
    - Remove the two bolts holding the tank in
    - Turn the fuel petcock to ON
    - Remove all the fuel lines, vent line and wires for the gas gauge
    - Remove the tank (No need to drain the gas if your petcock is working. It won't flow fuel without engine vacuum in the ON position)
    - Loosen the clamps holding the airbox on
    - Remove airbox
    - Remove the throttle cables at the carbs (Self explanatory once you look at it)
    - Remove the choke cable at the carbs
    - Loosen the clamps holding the carbs on
    - Remove carbs

Follow the carbs 102 thread here on KR and go to town.

The last cleaning I did, I drained the gas out of the carbs, let them dry out a bit, piled some old bath towels on the kitchen table, and drank coffee and cleaned the carbs.

Of course my wife was at work.

Doesn't take great mechanical ability. Takes patience and attention to detail. If you lack the detail, use a digicam on every step and you won't have to remember how it goes back together.

Oh yeah..

Right when you're ready to put the carbs back on? Clean 'em again...

Comment

If you can pull the carbs, I can clean them for you. I'm not that far away.

So far as replacing the clutch cable... that's pretty easy as well but you'll need to remove the tank, left side plastic, and sprocket cover to get to everything. I usually just tape the new cable to one end of the old cable and pull it through, so it follows the same routing.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ron, if you run into trouble installing the cable, give me a shout - also I agree it's best to shoot the carbs to Arsenic - he'll get your carbs sorted out, then you'll just need a sync after installing them.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Cool guys, thanks! I plan on working on this stuff this weekend.
          -
          -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Working...
          X