Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase cover leaking

I have '03 katan600
    I recently changed my crankcase.
    when I was putting new cover I tighten one of the bolt too much nd now it just goes round in the same place.
    Now every time after I drive, I slide my fingers where the cover meets the engine and I find little oil.
    there is no major leak, However small thing can make a differece.
    Is there any easy way to seal the leak without going through the process of draining the oil and taking out the cover? and redo the things I did before.

Well you stripped out that screw, not an easy fix,
    Nothing I can think of can "fix" that without pulling the whole thing apart..

Comment

Here's what you need to do.
      1) Find out if the bolt or bolt hole is stripped. Pull out the old bolt. Next put another one of exactly the same size in it's place. You can use a bolt from the opposite side of the cover for this. If this bolt doesn't spin then you simply need to buy another matching bolt.
      2) If your bolt still spins then the bolt hole is stripped. You'll need a tap and die kit and a drill to fix this.
      3) Drill the hole...something just slightly larger than the hole was before. If it was 8mm, use a 9mm drill bit for example. I don't know the size, but you get the idea.
      4) Tap the hole using the kit. This will rethread the hole so that a larger bolt can be used. Follow the instructions and this should go smoothly.
      5) Put the larger bolt into the newly tapped location.

Good luck.
      Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

I would take the cover off and reun a tap into it. It might help. Dont over tighten. If its still stripped when you put the bolt back in either bigger bolt resize or inserts.

Comment

You might be lucky and just have used too short of bolt (the wrong one), try to find one 1/4" longer and try that.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
          X