X

changed clutch cable, now bike won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed clutch cable, now bike won't start

i just changed my clutch cable (pain in a** i must say). bike ran fine before. now, after changing the cable, the bike won't even turn over. guess maybe the electrical sensing for the clutch lever to be in to fire the bike. where do i start? all i did was change the cable. had to take the sprocket cover off. that didn't seem to complicated. i'm far from an electrician. what could have gone wrong? thanks for any help.

did you knock the netral switch loose?????

Comment

what's the neutral switch? did i miss that somewhere down in the front sprocket area?

Comment

The neutral switch is easy to check - does the 'N' light in the dash come on when it's in neutral?

I'd say it's the clutch switch. Or you might just have a dead battery. What year is the bike?

/kiba
        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

battery is good. i have good electrical power. the neutral light is on when the bike is in neutral. it seems whatever pulling the clutch lever does in order to let the bike start up is not working. something is keeping the bike from starting - clutch switch? neutral switch? how do i check them?

Comment

If the light is coming on then the neutral switch is OK.

I don't know about the pre 98s, but if it's a 98+ then the clutch switch is on the handlebar just behind the clutch lever. Make sure it's plugged in all the way and that the switch is in place. If it looks good, then unplug it and put a jumper wire between the 2 terminals on the plug and try again. If it starts, then something is wrong with the switch or it's not seated correctly.

/kiba
            find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

thanks. i'll give it a look tonight

Comment

took the clutch lever out of the perch and unscrewed the clutch lever switch. don't know what the heck i'm looking for or how the switch functions. please help.

Comment

You're looking for the wires that come OUT of the clutch control pod . They should be attached to another with via a clip . Make sure that clip is plugged in nice and tight and try to start it again .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X