X

Carb o-ring sizes? for post 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb o-ring sizes? for post 600

I'm in the process of rebuilding my carbs for my 2000 kat 600. The current o-rings are showing signs of wear (small cracks show under pressure and are stiffer than o rings normally feel). I want to get replacements, but don't feel like dropping $40 on o rings at the stealership. I've search previous threads and know i want to get nitrile o-rings to handle the environment. I have no idea what metric sizes to get, if someone could let me know, that would be great, thanks!

Try taking them down to your local plumbing supply store, or Lowe's and match them up.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I'm currently doing the same just need the damn right screw driver, i have 20 phillips and they all dont fit right..

any advice on this? I may not rebuild them but atleast i'm cleaning them iv never actually done it.
      This my first time, im knowledgeble just never have done it

Comment

Originally posted by blackice2242 View Post
        I'm currently doing the same just need the damn right screw driver, i have 20 phillips and they all dont fit right..

any advice on this? I may not rebuild them but atleast i'm cleaning them iv never actually done it.
        This my first time, im knowledgeble just never have done it
        tapping the screws a few times with a wrench seemed to help, just use a lot of force with the best fitting phillips head you got, and make sure you don't strip em. or you could try liquid wrench or something. good luck. check out this thread too: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102696

Comment

Buy a hand impact wrench and use that phillips with the wrench.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

yea, i used hammer, & the best fit sd.

But i stripped 2 screws

Comment

Yes, an impact wrench is a must to remove the bowls. I just bought a set of assorted rubber o rings when I rebuilt mine two years ago. They came in a plastic hobby tray type container. Very handy. I plan on cleaning my carbs and replacing o rings again this winter. If I dont do it every other year the bike runs like crap in the spring and by year three it wont run at all.

Comment

Originally posted by blackice2242 View Post
                yea, i used hammer, & the best fit sd.

But i stripped 2 screws
                Impact works better than that, also use a needle nose vice grips on the stripped ones.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

You could buy the J.I.S. screwdrivers that actually fit the screws. I just slotted the screws with a cutting wheel and used a flat blade screwdriver, then replaced the screws with allen head bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba600 View Post
                    You could buy the J.I.S. screwdrivers that actually fit the screws. I just slotted the screws with a cutting wheel and used a flat blade screwdriver, then replaced the screws with allen head bolts.
                    Where do you get these screwdrivers?
                    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog View Post
                      Yes, an impact wrench is a must to remove the bowls. I just bought a set of assorted rubber o rings when I rebuilt mine two years ago. They came in a plastic hobby tray type container. Very handy. I plan on cleaning my carbs and replacing o rings again this winter. If I dont do it every other year the bike runs like crap in the spring and by year three it wont run at all.
                      where do u get your o rings from?

Comment

Hardware store..

Got mine from ACE - they matched it up with the old ones

Comment

Working...
                        X