Timing chain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain?

Hi every body!

I am wandering if and I know that some of you have chaged the timing chain,my question is :
    I have 80000km (50000mils) and was thinking of changing it ,it is running gerat no paticular noise good performance,no sine of any problem.With a car they suggest 100000km
    Should I whait a or do it? and while I'm there is there any thing else I should be doing for preventing maintenence!

Many thanks
    Chris

Unlike a car, to do the timing chain, you need to split the case since the chain runs down the center of the motor. Since you'd be that far into the motor, you might as well just continue and rebuild the motor. If there is no excess stretch to the chain and the timing chain adjuster isn't all the way out, I wouldn't worry too much. Theres quite a few Kats out there with over 100,000 on them.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I currently have a little over 110,000km (68,400 miles) on my Kat and have no know issues with the timing chain. I expect the timing chain to last the life of the engine.

Most automotive vehicles use timing belts which do need replacement at that 100,000km mark. My 1987 Toyota 4 cylinder pickup also has a timing chain and it has the original chain at 461,800+km (277,000+ miles).

On a side note I have those same Givis in your pic.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Keep the valve adjustment every 15,000-20,000 with fresh good oil and run it tell it breaks

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
          Unlike a car, to do the timing chain, you need to split the case since the chain runs down the center of the motor. Since you'd be that far into the motor, you might as well just continue and rebuild the motor. If there is no excess stretch to the chain and the timing chain adjuster isn't all the way out, I wouldn't worry too much. Theres quite a few Kats out there with over 100,000 on them.

you dont have to split the cases to replace a cam chain they make them just like drive chains you break the link with a special breaker tool and hook the old one to the new one and loop it thru the motor and then unhook the old one and rivet the new one together like a drive chain
          I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Just so you know, Sin, no GOOD engine builder will use a master linked cam chain! I build race engines & will not even CONSIDER using one. The CORRECT way to do it is to split the cases & use a 1 piece chain just like the FACTORY does. Ray.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Manny thanks

Thanks guys for the advice!

Comment

Nissan sentra 1.6 liter with 260,000 miles here still stock timing chain

Comment

Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                  Nissan sentra 1.6 liter with 260,000 miles here still stock timing chain

Is that the late 80's early 90's sentra? If so it has an external timing belt and you have been about 140,000 miles lucky!
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

92' dual overhead cams , 2 timing chains

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                      Keep the valve adjustment every 15,000-20,000 with fresh good oil and run it tell it breaks
                      Suzuki spec for the Katana, at least mine, is 7,500 miles (12,000km).
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Ah... I had like 5 of the sohc and they were turds......
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

They were turds huh? lol thats funny business. I know the 91-94 ran like a top. high rpm racing motors 1.6 - 2.0 Liters

Comment

Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                            They were turds huh? lol thats funny business. I know the 91-94 ran like a top. high rpm racing motors 1.6 - 2.0 Liters
                            YES! Barely could get 85mph out of them in 4th. That was still the carb version. I had a 83 1.5 turbo that was powerful WHEN it ran. They only made that 1 year, I wonder why..........

Comment

Working...
                            X