X

Dumb question on license plate light voltage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question on license plate light voltage

I am trying to get my first bike on the road. So.. I'm missing my license plate light. The wire that was hanging off my fender is just hanging out there (previous owner got rid of it or smashed it.. and left a few wires hanging) Anyways I traced it with the multimeter and it's only giving out 1.5V Any reason why it's so little? I bought some LED bolts that should light up the plate well, and get this bike passed inspection... These are 12V lights, and look pretty good when I hooked it up to test. But.. 1.5V is not going to trigger them.

I may have to run the wire into the tail lamp or something... unless the bike must be on to get more voltage going to it?

Any help would be great.. or if someone can confirm I need to get the power from another source?

what color is the wire? should be brown for the always on tail light, plate lite, and running lights. black with white stripe is ground. only real reason a wire would have 1.5v is a transient voltage in a ground, bad switch, or bad connection. if the wire is brown, does it change voltage between the key in ON or Park ?
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

1.5 volts is garbage from somewhere. Maybe a bad ground or something.
      You can tie it in to the rear light. Just be sure you have the tail light not the stop light.

Post up when you get those lights working. I like the idea pics would be great!
      A word of warning I think I heard someone say they had a legal issue with them.

You got pretty fast fingers for an old guy there Rich....
      Last edited by Black_peter; 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        You got pretty fast fingers for an old guy there Rich....
        I can still make the Wifie blush, flush, faint,,,,,,I aitn THAT old yet
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
          I can still make the Wifie blush, flush, faint,,,,,,I aitn THAT old yet
          Right, if dirt is considered young.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
            what color is the wire? should be brown for the always on tail light, plate lite, and running lights. black with white stripe is ground. only real reason a wire would have 1.5v is a transient voltage in a ground, bad switch, or bad connection. if the wire is brown, does it change voltage between the key in ON or Park ?
            Well that might explain it.

The wires are black, and grey with black stripe... I'll fish around for more wires.. I have no idea why it would be hanging out there.. it is coming from the wires that go to the right tail light signal, so that's why I thought it was for the license plate.

The guy at the inspection station said he said it would pass as long as he can see the plate with the lights on.. I'll snap a pic when I get 'em running at night!

Oh.. I didn't test the voltage with it on or park.. I turned the key to the on position. I was only thinking that maybe it isn't enough voltage until the bike is on.. but why would it be enough for the rest of the lights to turn on.... so it seems I just have a bad wire... and I'll fish in the tail section for another set of wires!

Comment

Mine has no license plate lights, was that way when I got it last Sept.(was inspected) I thought about it and was gonna get the plate led bolts (now they are just the red dot). But passed for inspection in the spring so I didn't bother.

Would like to see if I could find some kind of angle things to make them point out straight.(they shine to the sky and led need to be more direct to see full brightness.

Comment

Yes, the ones I have are thick and the leds shine down and at an angle so it's meant to hit the plate. Looks very sharp! Just have to get the wired in right.. and have to drill out the bolt holes a bit larger

Comment

can you post a part number or pic of the bolts you got? or where you got em?

i am looking for angled led bolts but can only find the ones that point straight.

Comment

Ebay... search motorcycle license plate bolt lights

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                      Right, if dirt is considered young.
                      To Rich, I think dirt is a newfangled invention..
                      At least that fancy "store bought" dirt..

Comment

lol

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

dirt? is that what that dark ring around your neck is Frank?

Comment

I traced the wire all the way back into the tail section and found that one of the wires had a bad ground to the frame. Stripped it all the way back to the plug and did new wires... works like a charm, have to see how bright it is at night!

Comment

Originally posted by rice_rocket View Post
                              I traced the wire all the way back into the tail section and found that one of the wires had a bad ground to the frame. Stripped it all the way back to the plug and did new wires... works like a charm, have to see how bright it is at night!
                              should light it up fine, and led light up a cooler color then the regular lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X