X

Bike won't start/stay started if I touch throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike won't start/stay started if I touch throttle

Rebuot carbs, adjusted by the place that rebuilt them, A/F screws 2.5 out, 14.6mm float height, visually synced.

Starting it up, full choke, the bike won't start if I touch the throttle at all. If after it starts, I pull throttle at all, it bogs down and dies.

If I give it a substantial amount of time to warm up, this problem seems to go away, but kind of irritating.

Any thoughts?
    '95 Katana 600

R you sure they knew what they were doing? Are you sure the choke was hooked back up?
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I got them from partly Chris's motorcycles on ebay. He has a 100% positive feedback and he sells a lot of these carbs. I hooked the choke back up myself so I'm sure that's fine, it was definitely working.

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      R you sure they knew what they were doing? Are you sure the choke was hooked back up?
      '95 Katana 600

Comment

We know that guy. He usually knows what he's doing with carbs, but sometimes even the best people make mistakes. Is the choke cable adjusted properly? It sounds like it might not be fully engaging the choke which would explain the long warm up period.

Also it would help if we knew year and cc of your bike. Different years have slightly different quirks.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Sorry I'll have to add it to my profile or something. It's a '95 600. How do I know if the choke is "fully" engaging? When the choke is off, it looks like the choke pins seat back in the bodies fully, when the choke is on they pull out about as far as they look like they will against the slide.

Originally posted by Court93kat View Post
          We know that guy. He usually knows what he's doing with carbs, but sometimes even the best people make mistakes. Is the choke cable adjusted properly? It sounds like it might not be fully engaging the choke which would explain the long warm up period.

Also it would help if we knew year and cc of your bike. Different years have slightly different quirks.
          '95 Katana 600

Comment

I'm just gonna state the obvious, but why do you want to give it throttle when it starts? You shouldn't be touching the throttle until it comes off the choke.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              I'm just gonna state the obvious, but why do you want to give it throttle when it starts? You shouldn't be touching the throttle until it comes off the choke.

I guess it goes hand in hand with this being my first bike . So I guess I shouldn't be giving it gas but shouldn't it still start if I do? Should it bog down and die if I give it gas while the choke is on?
              '95 Katana 600

Comment

in reality, you should only need to start the skoot with the choke on. you should be able to work the choke completely off within about a minute, and be able to use throttle to let the skoot warm. personal opinion is to let it warm a few minutes ~2k rpm before taking off.

I would trust Chris's work on those carbs. If it is actually a carb problem I have faith he WILL make it right no problem. I bet he'd be happy to take the time to trade a few e-mails or instant messages to answer any questions you may have.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

If you're dealing with the Chris I think you are, I'm sure he'd be happy to help you get it right!
                  THE DOC
                  RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                  Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                  mistake when you make it again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
                    If you're dealing with the Chris I think you are, I'm sure he'd be happy to help you get it right!

+1 I just talked to him the other night on yahoo messenger. (Suzukichris) He will give you the best advice on them. He almost is ALways on there.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I had this kind of problem rebuilding my bike this summer, it was in the process of fiddling with A/F screws. Thinking it was too rich at the time but I can't remember specifically.

Comment

Working...
                      X