X

Fuel petock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel petock

Rebuilt the petcock, but the fuel is still coming out with the dial in the "on" position.

Also, I was using a fuel line that was a little too tight and pulled the nipples out of the petcock body. Is this a problem or can I just put them back in? Maybe use some type of sealant so they don't leak?
    '95 Katana 600

prolly reassembled the petcock incorrectly. something upsidedown or improper diaphram/spring, etc. tear it back down and check your assembly. you may have to replace the petcock after ripping the nipples out. cant think of anything that would be a perminant fix. JB Weld would only be temporary, and needs to be well cured before use. on and reserve (down, forward) should only let gas thru with vacuum applied to the small nipple. prime (back) free flow with or without vacuum.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

They don't look like they're cracked or anything, it looks like they just pulled straight out, almost as if they were meant to function that way, but you're saying they're not?
      '95 Katana 600

Comment

Warlock - I've had the tubes pull out of my petcock before as well. I just pushed it back in and haven't had any issues with it leaking. If you want to be sure, LIGHTLY tap it with a hammer once you get it back in as far as you can by hand.

Otherwise, I agree with DumbLuck. Something is not put together right.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by WarlockLord View Post
          Rebuilt the petcock, but the fuel is still coming out with the dial in the "on" position.
          The petcock works by having a plunger with an o-ring surounded by a diaphram. A spring pushes the plunger closed normally. Vacuum when the bike is running pulls the diaphram against the spring, allowing gas to flow out of the center.

This can all be clearly seen here...

In hand is the plunger with o-ring that stops the flow of gas when there is no vacuum applied.

Here is the spring that pushes the plunger down to make sure it seals off when no vacuum is applied.

If you rebuilt the petcock, there are only a few reasons it would leak at this point.
          1. The o-ring was not replaced/is not new on the plunger.
          2. The main petcock surface where the o-ring seats was not cleaned.
          3. The spring is damaged/not installed/not installed correctly.
          4. The knob was not installed correctly and the settings do not match the internal workings. (IE... it's on prime when you have the knob turned to ON.)

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

one can manage to put the valve cylinder back in upsidedown (dont ask how i know this)
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
            X