X

Float height

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float height

Can some one DUMB this proceedure down a bit for me ive been adjusting my floats and i want to make sure Im doing it correctly.
    I understand that i have to measure from gasket surface to highest point of float.
    Does it matter if i set the carbs with the float resting on the needle It doesn't push down on the needle spring .Or should the float be kinda flopping toward carb body when set.
    I just need to assure Im doing this right. Thanks for your patience..Bill
    Im not a carburetor guru.

Let gravity do it for you. Theres no need to compress the needle spring. Measure with the carb upside down.

Comment

Well I thought that I read somewhere that if you measure with the carbs upside down your measurement will be incorrect because that is enough to compress spring?

Comment

nope. It wont compress the spring if the carb is upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by wismo View Post
          Well I thought that I read somewhere that if you measure with the carbs upside down your measurement will be incorrect because that is enough to compress spring?
          yes, you have to kind of hold them at an angle so that the float tang is resting against the float needle but not compressing the center button thingie that the float tang contacts. Also make sure that the float needle is seated in the seat before measuring.
          Last edited by Astro4x4; 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

The write up in the carbs 102 PDF is about as dumb as it gets.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks

well i took off bowls on carbs and noticed they are fulla rust.
              Maybe my carb cleaning was for nothing Ill bet. (even though I still need a diaphram cover)
              I dont think there is a vaccum leak Some rust got in from tank and is clogging something somewhere.
              I guess Ill try techtron cause IM ill from taking carbs apart.Bill
              Last edited by wismo; 09-03-2009, 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Gotta get the rust outta the tank, or you'll be pulling carbs everyday. Fuel system cleaner will not do anything for rust in the fuel.
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

if anything the fuel system cleaner will wash the rust down into the carbs quicker clogging them up sooner.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I guess thats a bad idea then..Loking at the bowl again I would say they have some rust but not too much but i take care of that soon,
                    But I just remembered that when I had the carbs split i LOST one of the springs thats between the carb pairs and I replaced it with one I had in a spring assortment. I wonder if that spring is weaker than stock could the butterfly be bouncing around in higher rpms?
                    Last edited by wismo; 09-04-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Well I guess I left one of the main jets loose. I took the bowls off this a.m. thinking I mixed up the jet from carb 3 and I ended up pulling off bowl 2 and the main jet fell off into the bowl.
                      Fixed that checked the others took it out for a ride and in about 5 minute any stumble I had was gone.sems like it runs mint....Thanks again for all your help....Bill

Comment

The por-15 kit works great on restoring the inside of your gas tank if there is rust in there. This will save you from much carburator heart-ache in the future. Its a three step process that first cleans, then preps surface with acid, and lastly coats it with a lining that bonds to and seals your tank. It does take four days for the tank to dry out properly according to the instructions though. This kit will also fix any pinholes that may be present in the tank. You can find them for around $40.

Comment

Working...
                        X