X

engine oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine oil

I am in the process of buying a slightly brusied 98 600. When the bike was dumped the signal generator cover was cracked and most of the oil drained out and the bike has been sitting for a month. I want to patch the cover temporarilyand add some oil to sart the bike. My questions are. 1 Will I have to prime the oil pump before starting the engine? 2 What kind of oil do I use? I was just gonna get some suzuki street bike oil. 3. How much dose the engine hold? Thanks in advance.

Walmart, $20 you can't go wrong. Only way I could think of priming is if you could turn over the motor without it starting (like if the carbs are dry don't turn pri on) for a few seconds. I think this 1 gallon should work for you.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      Walmart, $20 you can't go wrong. Only way I could think of priming is if you could turn over the motor without it starting (like if the carbs are dry don't turn pri on) for a few seconds. I think this 1 gallon should work for you.
      +1

No prime and no choke should let you turn the engine over a few times to get that oil splashing around. You can use the $11 standard Rotella T as well if you're not into synthetic.

It should hold 3.8 quarts.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. The prime idea was what I was thinkin as well.

Comment

just wondering what weight I should use 5w-40 or 15w-40?

Comment

In the Rotella T? One is synthetic the other is not, so the choice there is really synthetic or conventional. I run the conventional in my bike, which I believe is the 15W-40. White bottle. $11 at walmart.

Comment

i was gonna go with the sythetic and all there was at walmart was the 5-40. I am gonna go with that for now because the bike will be sitting for a while until I get it finished.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Katzuki View Post
                3. How much dose the engine hold? Thanks in advance.
                I'm pretty sure it's 3700mL, it's stamped on the crankcase cover on the same side as where you pour in the oil. At least that's what I've been posting in the three threads this week about oil capacity.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                X