X

Rear suspension/chain questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear suspension/chain questions.

This bike was crashed before I bought it. Do you this damage is a result of the crash? Should I replace the whole swing arm?
    My chain is old and rusty, how can I bring it back to life?

I invite you to church.

A crash could have caused part of the damage you see..., but I don't believe it's the main cause.

The main cause of the issue on the sprocket side is that your missing a spacer to keep the sprocket bolts off the swinger. Yeah, that needs to be fixed asap.

I would replace the swinger as well at this point. They can be had for cheap if you look around on ebay.

I would replace the chain and sprockets. All told, I would guestimate $200 for all parts I mentioned to replace or get.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I agree with Krey. IMO, that bike looks like it has gone thru some heavy neglect. I would definitely change the swing arm. Is that a CAli bike? I see some emissions crap on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
        My chain is old and rusty, how can I bring it back to life?
        By the looks of these pictues, you should just replace it. Don't chance it with a worn chain that could snap and wrap around your rear wheel. A new X-Ring chain can be had for less than $100.
        /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
        The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
        ...and miles to go before I sleep.
        - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Could you point out exactly where I'm missing the spacer please?
          Thanks for your input guys. Luckily this bike has some time before I'll actually be riding it.
          The left side rectangular plate at one time sucked into the frame, how common is this problem?
          I invite you to church.

Comment

Could you point out exactly where I'm missing the spacer please?
            Thanks for your input guys. Luckily this bike has some time before I'll actually be riding it.
            The left side rectangular plate at one time sucked into the frame, how common is this problem?
            Very common when someone doesn't tighten the axle bolt up... they are not meant to keep everything in place... the axle bolt is. They are simply meant to adjust the alighnment of the axle prior to torqueing it down tight.

A parts fiche for you to see all the parts that should be there at the rear wheel. Specifically, between the swingarm and sprocket carrier, there should be a spacer to keep the sprocket from hitting the swinger. Part number 10 in the fiche. (year doesn't matter, that fiche is mostly the same for 600 or 750 89-97 years.)

You can replace the caps for the axle adjusters with bandit caps, or check out another thread that is fairly active of a member making some.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for your response and the parts explosion picture.

Would a gsxr swing arm fit easily or is there a lot of modification needed to swap that? Just wondering since the gsxr is probably lighter and stronger.
              I think the local car junk yard might have a frame or two lying around.

Since the chain and sprocket need to be replaced is there a sprocket on the transmission that should also be replaced?
              Thanks in advance,
              Chris
              I invite you to church.

Comment

Thanks for your response and the parts explosion picture.

Would a gsxr swing arm fit easily or is there a lot of modification needed to swap that? Just wondering since the gsxr is probably lighter and stronger.
                I think the local car junk yard might have a frame or two lying around.

Since the chain and sprocket need to be replaced is there a sprocket on the transmission that should also be replaced?
                Thanks in advance,
                Chris
                GSXR swingarms would require a large amount of modification and custom fabrication of new linkages to make it work, and even then it's not going to work "well" unless you make alot more changes to the mounting points beyond just "what is needed to fit it in" and so on....

2 sprockets, 1 chain... about $150 from www.sumofallparts.net delivered, and they are the same kits you get from ron ayers, or bike bandit for about $50 more. HS2020 also sells sprockets and chains here on the site, PM him if your wanting better quality items, or he may be able to match the SoAP prices... I don't know. If you look around on ebay you can find good Kat swingers for cheap (I have seen them as cheap as $30 shipped). If your looking to put the wider rim on the back of the bike (since you asked about a GSXR swinger) then I recomend modding the Kat swinger for that. After doing mine, I feel it's a much better result than forcing another swigner in there.

Krey
                Last edited by Kreylyn; 08-26-2009, 09:22 PM.
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Okay, thanks for your response. When I'm able to buy parts I hope to go through the local vendors on this site, but we'll see when that happens because right now I'm low on funds.
                  I invite you to church.

Comment

Working...
                  X