Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

little spring in petcock rebuild kit,,wheres it go????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little spring in petcock rebuild kit,,wheres it go????

just what the title says.I just bought a 91 gsx600 and fixing all the mess-ups the last guy did to it.got a rebuild kit for it and it came with a little spring,when I took the petcock apart there was no spring,where does the spring go and whats the purpose of it?thanks

Originally posted by my91katana207 View Post
    just what the title says.I just bought a 91 gsx600 and fixing all the mess-ups the last guy did to it.got a rebuild kit for it and it came with a little spring,when I took the petcock apart there was no spring,where does the spring go and whats the purpose of it?thanks
    A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Check my petcock rebuild thread, and you should be able to verify but I think....

It's the spring that goes behind the knob for the position selector. There is an o-ring that should be replaced there as well in the rebuild kit.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96553

Check my petcock rebuild thread, and you should be able to verify but I think....

It's the spring that goes behind the knob for the position selector. There is an o-ring that should be replaced there as well in the rebuild kit.

Krey
      whats the spring do?

Comment

whats the spring do?
        Keeps pressure against the selector knob and the internal flow director (plastic piece with a few holes in it) so that everything stays in the proper positioning, doesn't leak, and doesn't prevent the holes from lining up right for the fuel flow.

Edit to add: yes, it's important for the proper functioning of the petcock.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My91Katana207

Are you saying your rebuild kit had TWO springs?

I just bought a petcock rebuild kit myself, and it, too had two springs. One was about 1.5 cm long, and about .8cm dia? The other about 2 cm long and about .2cm dia? Is that the one you are calling the "little spring?"

In my case, I have a slight advantage over you, I AM the original owner of my 93 750, I know the petcock had never been apart until I took it apart, and when I took it apart, there was no little spring.

As far as I can tell, my newly rebuilt petcock works just fine without the "little spring". I kept it just in case, but...

I think the rebuild kits we bought fit multiple bikes, the little spring might fit some bikes, but I don't think it fits ours.

**** Holzwarth
          Dick H

"Well, my rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow...."

Comment

Um... yeah it does....

Little spring.... sticking out of the selector knob.

Full view of the little spring...

Big spring, goes with the diaphram, vacuum side.

Comparison between 2 petcocks (90 600, and 93 750) showed exactly the same setup.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

OK Krey. I stand corrected. And I guess I should have pulled the knob off too.

Thanks

**** Holzwarth
              Dick H

"Well, my rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow...."

Comment

I found out that the plastic thing on the other side of the knob wasnt there,I have to order a whole new petcock,they guy that had it before me really messed with this bike,and the spring on the diafram wasnt there either,he had it set so fuel was constantly flowing

Comment

I found out that the plastic thing on the other side of the knob wasnt there,I have to order a whole new petcock,they guy that had it before me really messed with this bike,and the spring on the diafram wasnt there either,he had it set so fuel was constantly flowing
                  Before you do that... check here for another petcock that is "non rebuildable" due to other issues that you might be able to get that part from.

Then, if that isn't an option, look at getting a used petcock and rebuilding it with the kit you got.

New petcock is relatively expensive compared to those options.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I think this ones about wrapped up anyhow. On the third picture above (#6 thread from Kreylyn) I noticed when I did a petcock rebuild on my 93 600 that the small black nipple protruding out of the piece in his left hand was missing from mine (theres nothing behind the plastic washer with holes either). Does anyone know if this will affect the performance of the petcock? Again, sorry for the thread-jack my91katana207.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberbyter View Post
                      I don't mean to thread-jack, but I think this ones about wrapped up anyhow. On the third picture above (#6 thread from Kreylyn) I noticed when I did a petcock rebuild on my 93 600 that the small black nipple protruding out of the piece in his left hand was missing from mine (theres nothing behind the plastic washer with holes either). Does anyone know if this will affect the performance of the petcock? Again, sorry for the thread-jack my91katana207.
                      Best I could tell, that was a restrictor for the vacuum. I would assume to reduce the bounce of the diaphram as the vacuum is a pulsating, not continuous vacuum. If that is correct, this helps to increase the life of the diaphram in the long term (years down the road). In the short term... no difference really.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

ty sir.

Comment

Working...
                        X