X

bike shut off in torrential rain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike shut off in torrential rain

I rode about a mile, stopped at a light and the bike shut off. I tried to restart and it cranked but didn't start. I thought maybe no fuel to ignite. I turned it off put on prime for a few sec, and it turned over. This all took place after light went green, red, then green again, so maybe a min or 2. It a 04 600, any ideas?

erik

also sometimes i pull clutch and it wont crank, i pull again and it starts, i think i am going to bypass the clutch switch
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    RIP Marc

Well- were you low on fuel? Are you completely engaging the clutch?

Had the Kat die at a light on me, similar symptoms (except starting on prime)- was the battery.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I've had that happen before. Then I turned off the kill switch, lol.

Comment

neither of those are it i'm afraid, i have to pull the petcock and check the vac line. ohh crap i just got puked on. (6 month old)
        May the road rise up to meet you.
        May the wind always be at your back.
        May the sun shine warm upon your face,
        and rains fall soft upon your fields.
        And until we meet again,
        May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
        RIP Marc

Comment

Rain and the clutch lever connector switch always gave me that kind of problem but I dunno
          sigpic

Comment

I went riding in the rain for around 2 hours today. Finally the katana started acting funny and stalled at a stop sign. Wouldnt restart after several times at cranking at it. Finally had to pop start in 3rd gear to get it fired back up. After the rain stopped it ran fine again. Probly water getting into one of your connections.

Comment

hmm i have riden my kat in a tropical to hurican before , got blown over at a light it was so hard , and went threw flooded streets higher then my engine covers and had no problem , the bike kept going threw wthe flood i was happy.
              sorry u didnt have same luck
              sigpic

Comment

Wiring issue . Been there , done that , did the ride of shame in a car in wet leathers . Now you gotta figger out WHERE exactly ..... Mine seemed to have been a signal generator on the way out .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i had the same problem. can you say exactly what i should be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by kwillz17 View Post
                    i had the same problem. can you say exactly what i should be looking for?
                    Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                    Well- were you low on fuel? Are you completely engaging the clutch?

Had the Kat die at a light on me, similar symptoms (except starting on prime)- was the battery.
                    Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                    I've had that happen before. Then I turned off the kill switch, lol.
                    Originally posted by acraze View Post
                    Rain and the clutch lever connector switch always gave me that kind of problem but I dunno
                    Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                    I went riding in the rain for around 2 hours today. Finally the katana started acting funny and stalled at a stop sign. Wouldnt restart after several times at cranking at it. Finally had to pop start in 3rd gear to get it fired back up. After the rain stopped it ran fine again. Probly water getting into one of your connections.
                    Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    Wiring issue . Been there , done that , did the ride of shame in a car in wet leathers . Now you gotta figger out WHERE exactly ..... Mine seemed to have been a signal generator on the way out .
                    Read this thread. Everything I quoted could be the issue. There is no one thing that could be wrong....you have to find it. Start with the stuff I have quoted here.

Comment

...and it could be that you don't have a hose attached to the drain line coming out the bottom of your tank.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

i have had a similar problem with mine i'm sure it has to do water getting in through the air box some how.

Comment

Working...
                        X