X

a/f screws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/f screws

ok guys hope you can help...i have a 97 kat 600, when i bought the bike the previous owner had a 'custom exhaust' installed which means he had an aftermarket welded on!!!! well i was going to go ride one day and my dad said he could smell that it was really lean so what i was wondering is can i richen up the carbs with the factory jets?
    sigpic
    -Cory-
    1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

If you turn the a/f out, it will richen up. Not sure if it is enough to be where you need to be though. Probably need to know if it has a stock jetting air filter etc. before you monkey with it too much.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Well it does have the factory jetting, and it has an oem spec air filter I have replaced it
      sigpic
      -Cory-
      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

I had the same problem after I installed an aftermarket slip on. Take off the carbs, drill the brass caps, seat the AF screws and then back them out 2.5 turns. Youll be golden.

Comment

How big of a hole do I need to drill?
          sigpic
          -Cory-
          1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

drill a small hole big enough to get a threaded screwdriver (dont remember what this is called) to pull off the cap. Then tune as you would any other philips screw

Comment

Um , what . No , you get out yer trusty dremel (their bit works PERFECTLY for this application ) , and you drill until you can JUST see the hole in the bottom start to widen (if you look close , you can kinda see the hole already) . THEN you thread a wood screw into the cap , and once it gets a good bite , tank it out with pliers . Now you can change you pilot screws with a FLAT screwdriver.
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Ed's concept is right. Close, but not exact. You drill a small hole just big enough to get a SCREW threaded into it and then pull on the screw to pull the plate out. Just make sure you don't drill deep enough to hit the a/f screws.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I was going to say... didnt I just say that? lol

Comment

ive got an 88 600 kat. i thought if u turned the screws out it leaned it out? am i completely wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Battousai View Post
                      ive got an 88 600 kat. i thought if u turned the screws out it leaned it out? am i completely wrong?

The a/f are screws that adjust the amount of FUEL that is introcuded to the air at idle. The more you turn them out, the more fuel... = Richer.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        The a/f are screws that adjust the amount of FUEL that is introcuded to the air at idle. The more you turn them out, the more fuel... = Richer.

Krey

correct

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                          I was going to say... didnt I just say that? lol
                          No , you said some weird stuff that didn't make sense . Stop drinking the bong water ...
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                            No , you said some weird stuff that didn't make sense . Stop drinking the bong water ...
                            but its so good!!! hahahaha I said the exact thing you said except instead of a screw use a threaded screwdriver so you can pull it out easier.

Comment

ok are these the things youre talking about to drill so i can get to the a/f screws? and in the second picture what are those screws at the bottom of the carbs? the ones in the ends are out alot further than the inner ones....
                              Last edited by overboost07; 11-13-2009, 07:11 AM.
                              sigpic
                              -Cory-
                              1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

Comment

Working...
                              X