No announcement yet.
X

Thinking about purchasing a Kat but....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about purchasing a Kat but....

I have been looking for an older sportbike for a while and one was recently posted on craigslist in my area that is in my price range(actually below). It has a couple issues though and I wanted to ask you Kat enthusiasts if you would reccomend it.

The bike is a 94 600 Kat. It has about 32k miles on it with newer tires and a new battery. It needs a new windshield and seat, but those aren't big concerns. What my concern is that the 2nd gear seems to have gone out on it. When you shift into second and try to rev the bike up, it will just jump to 3rd gear. The guy who posted it says he just shifts from 1st to 3rd, and that it still has a good powerband with that range. He is asking 700, but sounds like he could be flexible.

My question to you all is how big of an issue is the 2nd gear, and how much would it take to fix that. I've got 1200 or so saved up that I've been looking to purchase a bike with, and if you think I should hold out for something more around there in better condition, or if this is a good deal and an easy fix. Quick answers would be greatly appreciated as I am going to check the bike out in about 2 hours. Thanks a lot.

2nd gear is common for those years, but I haven't heard of anyone not fixing it (and it's very expensive). I like my second gear, I wouldn't give it up.

Comment

If you can do the work yourself, look at $400-500 for repairs in basic parts, gaskets, oil, so on.

I would not touch the bike for more than $400 with trans problems.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I appreciate the answers and the more I think about it the less interested I am. I just have such a great desire to upgrade my current bike(86 gs450), but that bike runs well and doesn't have any of the problems this bike would.

I was trying to rationalize the fact that I don't like second gear all that much on my bike, but its a 450 cruiser with a 6 speed, and second would be essential on a bike like this. I'm still going to check it out and prob take it for a spin but it won't go any further than that.

And also I don't have the real time or knowhow to do any type of work involving transmissions.

In the end I just called the whole thing off together. I'm going to hold out for a better condition bike. I have a feeling that might involve waiting til the winter though, thats when the real steals come out.
        Last edited by footballlm99; 08-15-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X