X

Rev Limiter - rod caps- pistons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev Limiter - rod caps- pistons

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgr0_LUpxI"]YouTube - Ronco Gsx 750f Andre Roman[/ame] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_wgddCwNvc"]YouTube - Alto Giro[/ame] What are the chances of an engine blowing apart from free reving in neutral?
    Last edited by waffenampt; 08-02-2009, 01:13 PM.

Tie the throttle down and let it sit on the rev limiter for an hour and you might have a problem. But just playing around like that guy did in the video won't hurt anything.

When I race my bike, in between shifts I don't let off the throttle, so it smacks the rev limiter. Been doing that for 4 years, haven't hurt it yet.....
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

I was told this many years ago that an engine can enter the red line briefly without engine damage but not stay in the red line.

Something I also learned from reading my FSM is that without a load, meaning on the stand like that video, the engine will enter the red line. The rev limiter will not kick in.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I can put my bike in neutral and it'll get on the limiter
        90 GSXR 750/1216
        sigpic

Comment

I've never done it, nor will I, but that's what I read in the repair manual.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I just thought, it could be a difference between the Pre's and Posts........

I did mine the first day I bought it. Had it on a trailer when I left the dealership...put the straps around the handlebars to hold it down and didn't realize when I tightened the strap, it pulled it to WOT. Went to my dad's house, fired it up on the trailer, and.....you guessed it! Big brown stain in my shorts
            90 GSXR 750/1216
            sigpic

Comment

Pre rev limiter will kick in anytime the RPMs hit that spot (it's electronic). The rev limiter will not STOP you from a red line if you go into those rpms with load (downshift at high speed and force the engine into turning faster than 11k rpms, but this aplies to any rev limiter).

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hey i have a 04 kat 600. i don;t think the rev limiter on my bike works. i have tacked it out and it didn't work.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joseph2027 View Post
                  hey i have a 04 kat 600. i don;t think the rev limiter on my bike works. i have tacked it out and it didn't work.
                  Put it in neutral and peg the throttle. Either the limiter will kick in, or the engine will grenade.

How high have you revved it? None of my bikes ever kicked in right at redline... the limiter was always about 1000-1500rpm above the redline on the tach.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i actualy thought it ws the valves floating cuasing that , not rev limiting , since thier realy isnt any computer chip on the bike
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malloc View Post
                      i actualy thought it ws the valves floating cuasing that , not rev limiting , since thier realy isnt any computer chip on the bike
                      The CDI is a big computer chip...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

How long could the katana 750 stay on the rev limiter "13,000 rpm" for do you think with enough air blowing on the engine in neutral. . Does suzuki test this stuff in there labs?
                        Last edited by waffenampt; 11-30-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Not to zombify the thread...but is my 93 750 supposed to rev that fast? Because it doesn't pick up RPM anywhere nearly as quickly as that. No problems with power though...

Comment

a bike with well syched carbs, and properly adjusted valves, will rev almost instantly, and feel like you're flipping a light switch with the throttle. power on/power off.

Comment

:S I guess I didn't do such a good valve job after all...Although I do still need to get around to syncing my carbs...would that make a huge difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X