Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 no start, no tach signal

ok i just bought an 88 kat 600

it wont start.
    not getting any tach signal, no spark at all (checked at plug wire)

coils are connected properly according to other members

i have 10v+ on the orange/white wires at both coils

BUT i also have constant 10v+ on the white wire, and the black/yellow wire on the coils.

im seeing 10v+ at the CDI box i believe (not sure, dont have a schematic to check)

i checked the fueses in the fuse box, they were all OK. ill have to pull the fairings off and check all the wires, and the main fuse i was told was under the left main fairing

most CDIs want to see over 10 volts before they'll properly function and send a signal to the coil to fire the plug. you may just flat out have a bad CDI too. fully charge your battery, and put a meter on it as you push your starter button. it hopefully wont drop much below 12 volts. anything below 10v and it prolly aint gonna fire. a fully charged battery at rest will show about 12.6v.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

at wat wires should i have over 10 volts?

Comment

ok from looking at the wiring schematic, im getting proper voltages at the proper wires, i ohmed the signal generator and got 174ohms on the nose. switch to voltage and while cranking i get a changing voltage. really thinking the box is bad

Comment

i got it running

it was a problem with the CDI box. i decided i was gonna open it up, i got the case off, and BAM, found rust on the last three pins on the chip inside there. took a small screwdriver and lightly scraped it off, plugged it back in and i heard a click (and felt a glimmer of hope) sure enough, turned the key and fired almost immediately

now it runs, the carbs need cleaned BAD... extremly laggy throttle and very lazy in low RPMs, hard to pull out its OK once the Rs are above, say 4,000. i think the carbs are just gummed up from sitting for 2 years

Comment

anything below 4k is mostly the pilot/slow speed circuit in the carbs. very easy to plug as all the passages and jets are so tiny. study the drawings so you know what passage goes where, and clean um up with plenty of carb cleaner and compressed air. if ya think they're clean, clean um again, thrice. FYI: check the O-Rings on the float assemblys close for tight fit as they shrink with age and will leak like sieves. rinse the tank well too so you dont pull a fresh load of crap thru the carbs pluggin um up again.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

well the bike sat for two years, and the tank thats on it now was just put on and i think was cleaned out before it was installed. im gonna try to seafoam everything first before i tear it all apart as i think the carbs just have varnished fuel in them. if it dont run any better after i seafoam it, ill pull the fuel bowls off and check needles and passages

Comment

well took the carbs off and my buddy started taken em apart for me (he's real good with these mikuni carbs) and to find out, the tip of the #1 pilot needle COMPLETELY corroded off....so gonna get ahold of a master carb rebuild kit(s) and the needed needles, and get it all rebuilt and have him re-synch the carbs

Comment

Working...
                X