X

2nd Gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gear

Ok guys, think something bad happend to the kat. Driving home last night i was leaving a gas station and shifted into second and it started to skip real bad, felt like the chain was slipping, but i know it wasnt that because the chain was fine when i got home. I made it home using first gear only as i was also unable to shift passed second. Not sure whats going on. I just pullled the oil pan and everything looks to be in place. Is my tranny junk? Also, would pulling the clutch and basket out let me see the gears better. I want a better look at whats going on in there. Thanks for any help guys!

You know that's not good news, probably is the tranny. You have to split the cases to gain access to the tranny or view it from underneath with the pan off. Drain your oil, it will tell you alot.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I did drain the oil. I pulled the pan but can't see any obvious damage and there were no pieces laying in the pan. oil looked fine except for a little bit of metal shavings on the drain plug. Anyone here ever done a tranny swap? Gonna begin the task of tearing into the motor tomorrow so if any of you experts have advice id love to hear it. Thanks!

Comment

I'm nowhere near an expert, but from what I've read on this forum, it's usually best/easiest to replace the entire engine/trans assembly instead of trying to repair the trans.

But if you do repair the trans, it would be a GREAT learning experience, and might cost a little less money.
        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
        90 GSXR 750/1216
        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
          I'm nowhere near an expert, but from what I've read on this forum, it's usually best/easiest to replace the entire engine/trans assembly instead of trying to repair the trans.
          Dito:

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

I think suzuki redesigned the gears for the older kats. So the replacement parts might be different and stronger. My 89 750 kat doesnt slip or clunk out of second yet, but it has an unusual wined in that gear. My first gear makes no noise but once it is in seconde it wines like crazy. Im pretty sure the clearences are out of spec. 3rd-6th doesnt make any noise just second.-=-=- Yeah I was just looking on the microfiche and suzuki redesigned almost every gear in the traanny of the older cats. 1st gear all the way up to 6th has been redesigned with a different part number.
            Last edited by waffenampt; 08-01-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post

But if you do repair the trans, it would be a GREAT learning experience, and might cost a little less money.

I'd love to just go the easy way and get a new motor, but I only have about $200 at the moment that can go to the bike (sucks being a poor college student). I am going to get the motor out of the bike tomorrow and start taking it apart. I will take pictures of the process if anyone hear is interested in seeing it.

Comment

It isnt that hard to drop the motor and split the cases, I did it on mine in about 2.5 hrs. But you might want to look at the shift forks as well. if they are bent then that will cause some problems. I just rebuilt my entire tranny, hard welded 4 out of the 5 gears, and undercut all of them. All of the work was done by Fast By Gast, very good company, all for the price of $425 U.S.. But you might want to check at some local junk yards for extra tranny parts.

Good on you for tackling the problem yourself though.
                1996 Suzuki Katana 750
                Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
                '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

Comment

I have 2 GOOD GSX-R 750 6 speed transmissions that will go right in with no problems. I'll take $200.00 each shipped if you are in the USA. Let me know if interested. Ray.
                  85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                    I have 2 GOOD GSX-R 750 6 speed transmissions that will go right in with no problems. I'll take $200.00 each shipped if you are in the USA. Let me know if interested. Ray.
                    Interested in this. Can you hold onto one for a day or two until I tear into this thing. I wanna find out whats wrong before I buy parts.

Comment

Found the problem!

Alright guys... tore into the motor today and found that the shaft that holds the shift forks had broke Got it pulled out and will now order a new one. Should be back on the road in a week if everything goes smoothly . Heres some pics if anyone is interested... (pulling cases apart is easier than people make it seem, hope its the same going back together lol )

Heres the bike with the motor out... im gonna give it a good washing now and figure out a good setup for a street fighter front end.

Here's a couple pics of the cases split...

And the broken shaft with shift forks...

Comment

FWIW, since you have it apart already... it might be worthwhile to swap in another trans, or at least upgrade the shift detent spring so you don't have to worry about problems with bent shift forks in the future.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Tranny already has a Factory pro shift kit in but I'm thinking about upgrading to the newer one with new detent arm and bearing.

Comment

good luck on reassemblying the cases! Do you have to put sealent on any part of the cases? I remember on the gsxr 1100 cases there was sealent on some of that.

Comment

I'v had the same problem with my 1990 engine that I bought for $200 CND tp replace my '89. At first it was just the shifting forks which can be bent easier that you would think. But in the end the over use of second gear (since you always accel and down shift with it) wore it so bad that I can't go over 4K rpm in 2nd. You'r situation sounds worse but I spent a whole season whenI was in college simply avdioding 2nd. Either skip right past it or just barely accel in it.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X