No announcement yet.
X

Any luck heli-coiling spark plug holes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any luck heli-coiling spark plug holes?

Just wanted to know the success rate of heli-coiling a spark plug hole. Mine blew out #2 plug today and took ALL the threads out of the head.

helicoils are worthless most of the time. Use the solid inserts. http://www.locknstitch.com/sparkpluginserts.htm

Comment

I disagree with ^, They work fine just buy the inserts that are meant to be used for spark plug repair.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks for the tip. HOWEVER, if you read the info on that site you'll find they sell only as small as 12mm inserts. The Suzuki Katana 2004 750 uses 10mm plugs.

Comment

Ok check out timesert then.

Tmod

Comment

I have not had to replace any in my Kat, but in our 500 ci pro stock hemi the solid ones were the ONLY ones that stayed put. Anytime we used helicoils they came out at the worst possible time.... Of course you don't have to take the plugs out that often on your Kat.

Comment

Heli coils can work just fine, but others like the time-serts work better for longer although they do take much more work to install.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Time Sert Info

Tmod

Comment

The longest Time Sert seems to be 15mm. The plugs are 19mm. It would appear that Time Sert's won't work either.

Comment

The hole for the timesert will be undercut into the top of the head and should work fine.

Tmod

Here ya go look down the list to the 10x1x17.8 inserts.

Liink

Tmod
                    Last edited by Tmod; 08-01-2009, 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks for the link. This link is not Time Sert but looks similar. I'll check it out.

Comment

Maybe you two are close enough to collaborate in person?
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Good info. Thanks all. This will save me a lot of trouble.
                          Aaron

1988 GSX1100F Katana
                          2001 NBM Pontiac Trans Am

Comment

heli-coils work alright. But i like the a keen insert. It has two keys that you hit in to the materal. So that insure it doesnt spin. I am a machinest by trade. Heli-coil will fail at some piont. The only down fall is that a keen sert u need a bigger hole and you need to retread for the outside of the keen sert. So you have to fine the right keen sert.

Comment

Originally posted by KatriderBBK View Post
                              heli-coils work alright. But i like the a keen insert. It has two keys that you hit in to the materal. So that insure it doesnt spin. I am a machinest by trade. Heli-coil will fail at some piont. The only down fall is that a keen sert u need a bigger hole and you need to retread for the outside of the keen sert. So you have to fine the right keen sert.
                              Hmmm always thought keensert had four darts.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                              X