X

Once again CLUTCH!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again CLUTCH!

OK, I realize this issue has been talked about plenty but I need some clarification. I have an 01 750 10k miles. It slips in high RPMS. I have been using Mobil one car oil in bikes for years. Maybe Im an idiot, but I have had no problems, unless this is why my clutch is slipping. Anyhow is there any way to adjust the clutch other than at the lever? If not should I change my oil with MC oil and see what happens or should I remove and clean clutch parts. Finally if I have to replace clutch can anyone direct me to a good step by step tutorial? Thanks for the help!

2 Kats

here is your step by step

"cleaning" will not do anything for friction disks IMHO
    you could glass bead/ sand blast the metal plates but that would also make it grab hard when starting off
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

use suzuki 10w40 oil

Comment

Car oil in bikes = clutch slipping. I'd lay odds the damage is already done. From now on don't use car oil, k?
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Fact: Car oil has "friction reducers" to help keep the engine parts from wearing.

Fact: Motorcycle oil does not have them due to the wet clutches needing friction to keep you going.

You can run car oil if you like, but be ready to keep dealing with slipping clutches and wonder why they slip.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat View Post
            Fact: Car oil has "friction reducers" to help keep the engine parts from wearing.

Fact: Motorcycle oil does not have them due to the wet clutches needing friction to keep you going.

You can run car oil if you like, but be ready to keep dealing with slipping clutches and wonder why they slip.
            Ok, that is a really good point. Any suggestions for not getting robbed when buying MC oil?

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
            here is your step by step

"cleaning" will not do anything for friction disks IMHO
            you could glass bead/ sand blast the metal plates but that would also make it grab hard when starting off
            I cant find find a manual for a 2001 gsx 750. Can u help? Thanks
            Aaron
            Last edited by 2kats; 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You just have to shop around different places for oil. Some dealers have good prices. Some Wal-Marts or car parts stores carry motorcycle oil. You just have to look in different places.

Did you click that link? There is a service manual in there for you to download.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

the entire planet is filty with Amsoil dealers. find one and buy direct.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

AMSOIL !

Comment

auto zone. castrol 3.99
                    sigpic

Comment

Im getting ready to fix the clutch and I wanted to ask a few more question. I need to buy friction plates, springs, engine oil, a gasket and sealant. Anything else? DO people typically replace any bearings, etc when they have it opened up? Any recomendation on brand of friction plates? Do I need to use a tourque wrench when reinstalling springs and bolts?

Comment

Oem plates, oem springs if you need them, a gasket and rtv (permatex) to hold the gasket in place. No need to replace any bearings unless they are bad which I doubt. More important to make sure the grooves where the plates fit into are smooth so they don't catch and chatter. I should suggest a torque wrench but those bolts arent on the tight, a little past snug and the spring tension acts like a lock washer. Walmart, shell rotella t 5-40 in a blue bottle, $20 for a gallon.
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                          Oem plates, oem springs if you need them, a gasket and rtv (permatex) to hold the gasket in place. No need to replace any bearings unless they are bad which I doubt. More important to make sure the grooves where the plates fit into are smooth so they don't catch and chatter. I should suggest a torque wrench but those bolts arent on the tight, a little past snug and the spring tension acts like a lock washer. Walmart, shell rotella t 5-40 in a blue bottle, $20 for a gallon.
                          Is that Automobile oil? The reason my clutch is slipping now I believe is because of using Mobil One automotive oil. Thank you very much!
                          Aaron

Comment

Working...
                          X