X

Gas Tank Funk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Funk

Anyone got any ideas on getting the funk out of the bottom of the tank. By funk I mean a little surface rust and some debris. Any ideas would be greatly appreicated

Sompeople did a good article on electrolysis on here for removing rust. Also POR 15 makes a cheap 40 dollar kit that incleds marine clean to get the varnish off the bottom of the tank, metal ready to remove the rust and also sealer to seal the tank. I called the POR 15 company and found a local dealer here in NY. Was a short 25 mile ride for a cheap 40 dollar tank sealing kit well worth the money for a bad condition tank.
    Last edited by waffenampt; 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Usually the electrolysis is used for a pretty rough tank. If you just have some surface rust and debris, I would pull the tank, remove the petcock and fuel level sensor and flush with a little fresh gas. Once the debris is out, use the POR-15 kit per the instructions and never worry about rust getting into your carbs again. Like mentioned above, relatively cheap kit compared to never having rust clog your carbs again and never having to worry about your tank rusting out on you.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Thanks Court
        You seem to have the right answers. Very light rust in tank. Plus a little debris. Is the POR 15 hard to use. Thanks again for the advice. Waff thanks for your input also. You have to love the place. So much knowledge.

Comment

The POR 15 kit depending on what you buy. I bought the kit with marine clean, metal ready , and the tank sealer. Although I havent used it yet im guessing it will take around 4-5 days for the whole process of cleaning the inside of the tank metal ready and sealer. The sealer takes awhile to harden like 4 days I think. You can log onto the POR 15 site and read the directions there they have all the stuff right there.
          Last edited by waffenampt; 07-31-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

why, I did a write up! =)

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
            the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
            # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
            [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Kat what an awesome write up, Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X