X

Low RPM problem and an extra hose!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low RPM problem and an extra hose!

So a month or so ago I picked up a '97 kat 600. Problem after problem I realized I had what seems to be "the problem" and my second gear was destroyed (as in, destroyed when I got it). So since getting it I've fixed about everything, replacing the motor with one off a 2006 kat.

My question pertains to a slight idling problem. If the bike drops below 3k rpm it wants to just plummet and shut off. Also, when I start to let out the clutch it tries to do the same. What does this sound like to everyone?

I should add, I've come out of this whole project with an extra hose (which could be the entire problem) but I can't seem to find where it goes! Here's a couple of pictures. It's about 1.5ft with a close off cap on the end.

Thanks!

Hose goes on the bottom of the stock airbox.

If there isn't a hose there, that could possibly lead to idle issues, but I'm thinking you need to turn out the A/F screws a little more. Ussually setting them to 2.5 turns out is best for a mostly stock setup.

Have you synced the carbs since mounting them to a new motor? That also needs to be done.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Check for vacuum leaks, sync the carbs...

EDIT: You say it's a 2006 Kat motor? Is it possible that the TPS on the new one is somehow messing it up? Sorry, don't have much wrenching experience on the post 98s.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I think the hose did it. I cleaned and visually synched the carbs. I did drill out the brass plugs but I didn't adjust anything yet. Overall I may be good to go now... hopefully *crosses fingers*

Comment

Yep, attaching the hose probably fixed your problem. Been there, done that.
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

mine is not on my air box and mine runs fine

Comment

So my bike still loves staying at 3k rpm. I've tried several things but here's where I'm at. I tinkered with the F/A screws, initially they seemed to be set ALL the way in, I was thinking maybe the stock position had buildup that made it feel like that was all the way in. Took them out and shot some carb cleaner in and put them back in. Took them out 2 turns but it smells rich...

And here I am still stuck at my bike idling at 3k. I can adjust it down, but then when I hit the throttle it settles back at the good ol' 3k.

The bike runs solid with this one exception. Is this a big enough issue for someone to fail inspection? I have to take this bike back to school in another state in a few weeks, which would be annoying without an inspection...

Comment

I just solved the idle hang problem on my 92 kat:
                Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

sigpic
                »Ross Wendell
                »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

this has nothing to do with your problem, however, this is exactly how i'm painting my bike this winter. It looks good!
                  jayskat23

Comment

this has nothing to do with your problem, however, this is exactly how i'm painting my bike this winter. It looks good!
                    Haha, thanks.
                    I just solved the idle hang problem on my 92 kat:
                    I was kind of feeling like it was an airflow problem... I also cleaned the filter. I currently have RTV drying on my airbox and we'll see tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                    X