X

750 Aircooler upgrade on 600 KAT 98

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 Aircooler upgrade on 600 KAT 98

Installing a 750 oil cooler on a 600 KAT 98.

Has anyone tried this mod? How you did it and what additional hardwares needed since it is 5 rows longer... as I heard. Pictures please, if any.

Any improvement on temp? I believe the longer the oil in the oil cooler, the better.

Your inputs!!!!
    Last edited by katitoy; 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM.
    KATitoy

Originally posted by katitoy View Post
    Installing a 750 aircooler on a 600 KAT 98.

Has anyone tried this mod? How you did it and what additional hardwares needed since it is 5 rows longer... as I heard. Pictures please, if any.

Any improvement on temp? I believe the longer the oil in the aircooler, the better.

Your inputs!!!!
    Actually it a Oil Cooler. LOL. I know what your talking about tho

I will see if I can load pics. My other comp got a virus. But I will try but it will be later tonight. AND I KNOW IT IS NOT A BOLT ON MOD. LOWER BRACKET HAVE TO BE MADE!!!
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 07-24-2009, 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Like already stated. It's not a "direct bolt in" because it does take some modifying to fit. The top will bolt in, and the hoses will hook right up, but the lower support brackets will have to be changed up for it to hold it well.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

honestly, for the trouble involved... you'd be better off going in this direction...

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

the biggest reason that i suggest you add a fan instead of just a 750 cooler is this...

the 600 oil cooler is more then capable of cooling the engine when your riding... the only time it seems to have any problems is once you've been riding for a while on a hot day... and your at a dead stop in traffic... when there is no air flow for the cooler... a larger cooler may help a lil bit, but not by much. so if you decide to add a 750 cooler, it would be a VERY good idea to add fans while your at it... otherwise, you may not notice too much of a difference.

also one other mod you may want to add is...

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

oil temp gauge... CP sells them... so you can keep an eye on all of it

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
        "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
          honestly, for the trouble involved... you'd be better off going in this direction...

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

the biggest reason that i suggest you add a fan instead of just a 750 cooler is this...

the 600 oil cooler is more then capable of cooling the engine when your riding... the only time it seems to have any problems is once you've been riding for a while on a hot day... and your at a dead stop in traffic... when there is no air flow for the cooler... a larger cooler may help a lil bit, but not by much. so if you decide to add a 750 cooler, it would be a VERY good idea to add fans while your at it... otherwise, you may not notice too much of a difference.

also one other mod you may want to add is...

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

oil temp gauge... CP sells them... so you can keep an eye on all of it
          Very well said. This is all true. I busted my Oil Cooler when my bike fell off my bike stand. Being the reason I went ahead and got a 750 oil cooler. Another huge reason is I plan on doing my B12 swap next year. And I will alrdy have that checked off.

Like AIR said, the 600's oil cooler is made for the 600 and is plenty when moving. The problem is at red lights or like here in Georgia backup traffic. And fans will help for alittle while. But if it is some bad backup traffic. They arn't going to be enough.

And I (personally) like the thought of having alittle bit more of a oil cooler on days I want to act like a racer. But if you are just of mid range rpm driver trying to get the best gas mileage. The 750 won't do nothing for you.
          sigpic
          Update Jul 11 2014
          Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

So I guess spending for an oil cooler upgrade is not a good idea. So I'm wondering if Katana's were not built for city driving at all or for hot weather states.

Hmmmm.... water cooled engines better?????
            KATitoy

Comment

i guess good full syn. oil will hang with hot temps better in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by katitoy View Post
                So I guess spending for an oil cooler upgrade is not a good idea. So I'm wondering if Katana's were not built for city driving at all or for hot weather states.

Hmmmm.... water cooled engines better?????
                They were designed for it. The problem is that an air/oil cooled motor needs air moving past the cooler to effectively maintain a lower temperature. It's just a design limitation inherited in all air/oil cooled machines. It's the same as a dirtbike, you don't leave it idling or just sitting there running.

And yes, water cooled is a big ftw. It's very nice.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
                  Being the reason I went ahead and got a 750 oil cooler. Another huge reason is I plan on doing my B12 swap next year. And I will alrdy have that checked off.
                  I might be mistaken, but I think if you get a B12 engine, you should also use an oil cooler for the same engine. So a 750 oil cooler would not have enough cooling capacity to keep the 1200 from overheating. I could be wrong, but I'd hate to see you burn up your 1200, if I'm right.....
                  02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                  87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
                    I might be mistaken, but I think if you get a B12 engine, you should also use an oil cooler for the same engine. So a 750 oil cooler would not have enough cooling capacity to keep the 1200 from overheating. I could be wrong, but I'd hate to see you burn up your 1200, if I'm right.....
                    Actually the 750 oil cooler is larger then the 1200 oil cooler according to the engine swap thread. I was wondering if anyone would caught that or not.

"OIL COOLERSAlways use a 750 oil cooler with a 750, an 1100 with an 1100, etc. If you use a smaller oil cooler, like your old Kat 600 one with a 750 engine, you’ll overheat her! The oil cooler MUST match or exceed the stock one for the engine. For early model Kats, you can either use a 750 oil cooler from an early Kat in your early 600, or fab or modify some lower tabs to fit that early Kat frame. The lower mounting tabs on the 600 oil coolers are different than the early 750 ones. On the Bandit into the 02 600, I used a 750 oil cooler from a Kat, and let the bottom hang loose sort of. Bolt it tight up top and bend the cooler out a bit to clear those big pipes you’ll need!"
                    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 07-26-2009, 07:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    sigpic
                    Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Hm, cool deal! That's what I had read in the engine swap thread. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the last part.

I bet that B12 would be a beast!
                      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                      90 GSXR 750/1216
                      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X