X

Thought I had dodged a bullet.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I had dodged a bullet.....

I have a 90 600 kat that I had the good fortune of recently getting back on the road. I haven't ridden it too much in the last couple of years but I do remember the 2nd gear giving me some trouble every now and then.

I purchased the shift kit thinking "maybe, just maybe I caught it before it got bad".

Well, I didn't.

The poor girl will pop out of 2nd almost every time I get on the throttle. So, needless to say, my kat is suffering from the common 2nd gear kablooie syndrome.

I'm not in a position to buy a replacement motor and I sure as heck am not going to split the cases. I'm going to ride it as it is, for now.

Has anybody heard or noticed the 2nd gear problem causing serious damage (I'm talking transmission explosions or seizures) to the transmission?
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

To nurse it along, could you just use third via passing through second gear?
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
      To nurse it along, could you just use third via passing through second gear?

Yeah, that's what I've been doing and I'm fine with bypassing 2nd altogether. I guess I'm just concerned about things coming lose inside the transmission and causing more damage.
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
        Yeah, that's what I've been doing and I'm fine with bypassing 2nd altogether. I guess I'm just concerned about things coming lose inside the transmission and causing more damage.
        That should not happen, and there have been many comments about others skipping 2nd. If your careful, I'd bet you won't make things any "worse" for you than what you have already... meaning... it won't take any extra money or do more damage than what is already done if you continue to ride it and skip 2nd gear.

If you continue to ride it, and miss shift more... that will be an issue.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X