X

carb needle question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb needle question

Can anyone tell me what changing the setting on the carb needles will change? Idle,mid r.p.m.s or w.o.t.?

the needles are tapered, so raising the needle will give you more fuel for any thottle setting other than closed.

idle is controlled my the idle adjustment, that keeps the slide or butterfly (depending on the carb) from fully closing. the pilot jet feeds the carb when it's closed, or mostly closed, and there's a needle valve that controlls the fule flow to the pilot jet. this is usualy covered by a metal cap from the factory, but that can be carefuly drilled and removed. then you can adjust it, or replace it with a thumb adjustable pilot jet needle... but that's only a good idea on single carb bikes.
    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

how is the adjustment made? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by turtleescape
        how is the adjustment made? Thanks
        on the needle ?
        see my page here:

you can see the picture of the needles and the adjusting e-clip.
        for a stock needle - go to radio shack and buy there bag of washers & install a washer between the spacer & e-clip.

for an aftermarket needle - move the e-clip 1 notch lower ( toward the taper )

tim

Comment

The needles control your midrange mix mainly .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X