Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: How do you Katana owners get your bike off the ground for servicing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: How do you Katana owners get your bike off the ground for servicing?

so ive got a rotor to replace, and i want to start mounting my own rubber as well.

just like when i did my sprockets and chain I quickly realized I had no way to get my 500lb beast off the ground to do the job. I actually used an old(i mean OLD school) motocross lift/lever thing wedged at the base of my swingarm with a 2x4 under it. it got me just enough clearance. it worked ok and was stable but a pain to get centered.

so the kat (mine is a 96) has no spools or anything like that so what do you guys use/do/recommend? front AND rear.

Centerstand?
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

i thought of that but the idea of putting all that weight directly on the 4 exhaust tubes sounded like a bad idea. i can get one cheap, but dont want to damage or overstress anything. also seems like it would be unstable. i guess you could block it etc.

any other ideas/insight fellers?

Comment

centerstand works great for doing any work requiring the rear wheel off the ground. for the front, and if you don't have a centerstand, you're gonna need to buy a set of stands for the front and rear.

edit: the bike comes stock with it's own centerstand, either you're not seeing it, or it has been removed.
        Last edited by SilentTJ; 07-12-2009, 06:12 PM.
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

thats funny when i first bought i noticed the mounts, but thought it was one of those manufacturing deals where all the mounting is there but they dont bolt the stuff on its added as an accessory you pay for later.

well know i know.haha

Comment

that really sucks. it is common for people to remove centerstands for the weight saving. personally i'd rather keep it there to make maintenance easier. you'll either have to find a used centerstand that you can install, or just go ahead and buy a set of stands. personally i'd go with a pair of stands as they can also be used for any future motorcycles that may not have a centerstand installed.
            2004 Katana
            GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

-Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

For the front wheels, I used two jackstands under the frame. I put the sidestand down and placed a jack on the other side to lift the right side just high enough to place a jack stand underneath the frame. I then physically lifted the left side of the bike and placed a jack stand on the left side. For the rear, I placed a jack underneath the rear shock mount and lifted the rear just high enough so the rear wheel would spin freely. This was done after I had put the front wheel back on the ground.

At one point, I had both wheels off and the bike was supported with the jack and the jack stands. I was really pushing my luck with this setup and I was fortunate to not have the bike fall over. I would not recommend this at all. I purchased a motorcycle lift but found the oil pan drops below the frame rails and I do not want to lift the bike by the oil pan. I'll have to rig up some sort of a spacer so the lift will lift the bike at the frame.
                "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by SilentTJ View Post

edit: the bike comes stock with it's own centerstand, either you're not seeing it, or it has been removed.
                  Most pre 600s did NOT come with the centerstand stock, but it was an added option (cost more).

Most pre 750s DID come with the centerstand stock included in the sticker price.

Ultimately, it was the local dealership that decided if they put one on or not on either machine, but most 600s don't have them.

A few jack stands and some 2X4s do wonders... if your exhaust is below the frame, just put 2 small pieces on either side the furtherest forward you can, then a long one to across to both... jack it up, put a stand under each side. Swap to the back and do the same for the swingarm in front of the tire.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

there's a few threads about making a bike hanger (upsidedown U with feets) to sling your skoot from using ratchet straps. basicly ya use 3/4" black pipe and a hand full of fittings. pretty simple and under $50. even less if you can cut and thread your own pipe. just do a search for pipe stand.
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
                      For the front wheels, I used two jackstands under the frame.

I have done the same and had it up there for a few days. Its surprisingly stable and gave me plenty of clearance to swap out the forks.

Comment

I use a few straps and a 20T overhead crane at the shop for the bike, cars, and trucks. I've even driven the front of my car into the bucket of a loader and just picked her up. I know it's pretty red, and not many people have that option, but it works for me.

With a center stand, couldn't you just put a sandbag or something on the rear seat to get the front off the ground? I don't have a center stand, but it seems like it would work.

Comment

You can put your bike on the center stand and pull the rear tire then put a strap around your triple tree and have someone push down light on the rear of the bike bringing the front up then tie the strap to something in the overhead to hold it. There is not that much weight one it. That is what I did to replace both of my tires. Hope that helps you out!

Comment

Working...
                          X