X

Still having problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still having problems

I have been having carb problems, or so I thought. I bought a new set of carbs. Went through and cleaned them completely. Put them on and I am having the same problems. So I am beginning to think that the carbs are not the problem.

What else could it be?

When I start the bike, I can get it to idle. If I hit the throttle hard, it will bog out and blow a mist of gas out of the carbs. It will then rev up. It also has very low power. I tried to drive it down the road, when i would let the clutch out it would stall out. No matter how much throttle I gave it. Every so often it would sound like it caught for a second and it would spin the tire on my gravel road, but it would quickly return to running poorly. The spark plugs were all kind of dark, especially cylinder 3.

I dont know what else to check. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Are you using the stock airbox (you mention stuff blowing out the carbs... how would you know if the airbox was on it?.. )

What kind of exhaust is on it? Stock, or aftermarket? Is it possibly clogged up?

Have you checked your valve clearances to make sure they are adjusted correctly?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have tried the stock air box, I also have K&N filters, and have tried nothing...all with the same result.

It has a vance&hines exhaust. Had it apart the other day, but this problem was occurring before that.

The valve clearances could be a viable problem. How do I go about checking that?

Comment

Sounds like you've got your valves too tight or cams are not timed properly.

Note: following procedure only applies to Kats with screw type valve adjusters

To check valves you have to remove these items in this general order:

Seat
        Tank (don't forget to disconnect sender leads and vac line to #4 carb)
        Crossbar above cylinder head
        Spark plug wires
        Spark plugs
        Cylinder head cover

Once you get the cover off you'll see the valve adjusters with locknuts. You'll have to get each set of adjusters on the base circle of the cam you are working on first. You can use the starter to bump the cams around as needed. Once you have each set of adjusters on base circle, loosen both adjusters and slide the correct thickness feeler gauge between one adjuster and valve. Set that adjuster so that the gauge just has a slight drag between adjuster and valve, and tighten. Recheck gap to ensure it did not change, if it did loosen same adjuster and readjust til you get the slight drag. Now move on to the other adjuster. To get the gap the same simply push down on the first adjuster and hold it against the valve. Now screw the second adjuster down til it just touches its valve and then tighten locknut. Recheck clearances, they should be the same now. Repeat for other valves. Reassemble bike in reverse order above.

QED.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Thank you. I will go through that tonight. What should the gaps be?

Comment

Originally posted by joshi_88 View Post
            Thank you. I will go through that tonight. What should the gaps be?
            Clearances are in the manual, I highly recomend getting one (at the very least, download one from this site).

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X