Fuel Leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Leak

93, 600
    had my carbs vatted an synched. got it back thursday, I have put approximately 500 miles on it over the weekend, rode to work on monday and i filled up a few miles from the house and parked it last night with a full tank. I got up to go to work 445 this morning and it would not start. i was running late so drove my truck. i got home and looked at the bike and there was a wet spot under it. it was fuel. tank was empty. i pulled the tank and plastic and the carbs appeared wet. pulled my airbox and it was full of fuel. WHAT HAPPENED???!!!

petcock was on run, not prime. how would it still pull fuel?

Originally posted by 600Katana View Post
    93, 600
    had my carbs vatted an synched. got it back thursday, I have put approximately 500 miles on it over the weekend, rode to work on monday and i filled up a few miles from the house and parked it last night with a full tank. I got up to go to work 445 this morning and it would not start. i was running late so drove my truck. i got home and looked at the bike and there was a wet spot under it. it was fuel. tank was empty. i pulled the tank and plastic and the carbs appeared wet. pulled my airbox and it was full of fuel. WHAT HAPPENED???!!!

petcock was on run, not prime. how would it still pull fuel?
    Fix/rebuild your petcock, it's not shutting off with no vacuum applied.

Fix/adjust your floats/float needles. They are letting fuel over fill the bowls and spill out from the carbs.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Maybe you're petcock is junk and "stuck' in pri and now had some crap in you're needle/seats. See if you can blow into the fuel lines.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

i put more fuel in when the tank was off to try and troubleshoot the petcock but it never leaked.

Any suggestions on rebuild kits? Shop quoted 69 bucks per carb for kit only

Comment

i put more fuel in when the tank was off to try and troubleshoot the petcock but it never leaked.

Any suggestions on rebuild kits? Shop quoted 69 bucks per carb for kit only
          You don't need a kit per say for the carbs.

Just pull and check the float heights, make sure the float needles are okay.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the mechanic said he had to pull and adjust the float height. he said the first time he sat them to level and it flooded out so he pulled them off and since the carbs were angled on the engine, adjusted to where they would be level when they when they were angled. Is that confusing? What is the correct height?

i also blew on the fuel lines, on one it has resistance and you can hear fuel bubbling in the bowls, on the other line there is no resistance and you just hear the air gushing by.
            Last edited by 600Katana; 07-07-2009, 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

the mechanic said he had to pull and adjust the float height. he said the first time he sat them to level and it flooded out so he pulled them off and since the carbs were angled on the engine, adjusted to where they would be level when they when they were angled. Is that confusing? What is the correct height?

i also blew on the fuel lines, on one it has resistance and you can hear fuel bubbling in the bowls, on the other line there is no resistance and you just hear the air gushing by.
              Um.... That's what the mechanic said?... hrm... Not sure I would go back to him.

Float height should be around 14.7mm. If your blowing fuel at that level, check the needle to make sure it's clean, the tip is not damaged, and the seating point is clean, smooth, and not damaged or anything is stuck in it..

Blowing into the fuel lines narrowed it down to wich set the problem is with. Pull and checks those.

See carbs 101 for details on how to set the float heights.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

ok so it is the set with no resistance?

Comment

ok so it is the set with no resistance?
                  Yes.... see what is supposed to happen, is when the bowl filles up, the float raises up and pushes the needle against an opening, sealing off the flow of gas ( or air when you blow into the fuel line). If that isn't happening, either the float height is not correct, or the needle is not seating, or something is stopping either from working correctly.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

ok thanks. now i read carbs 101 and its just cleaning. where does it say how to set the height?

sorry just saw it, nevermind

ok another question, found the trouble carb, the metal tab you bend to set the height, what is the spring underneath? the other three spring up and down and the trouble carb does not.

thanks for your help, i know have enough posts to respond in classifieds to some more carbs. I know have a busted float. so, anyone, i will trade a very curious female boxer (who apparently does not like the smell of gasoline) for a good float.
                    Last edited by 600Katana; 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

ok thanks. now i read carbs 101 and its just cleaning. where does it say how to set the height?

sorry just saw it, nevermind

ok another question, found the trouble carb, the metal tab you bend to set the height, what is the spring underneath? the other three spring up and down and the trouble carb does not.

thanks for your help, i know have enough posts to respond in classifieds to some more carbs. I know have a busted float. so, anyone, i will trade a very curious female boxer (who apparently does not like the smell of gasoline) for a good float.
                      That isn't a spring... it's the float needle that should be at that spot. If it's not moving at all, I would remove it and check to see what kind of condition it's in, and what the issue is with the needle.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

it is completely corroded up. so, where is the best place for needle and seat kits and float assemblies? the 69.99 is local shop quote

Comment

it is completely corroded up. so, where is the best place for needle and seat kits and float assemblies? the 69.99 is local shop quote
                          Post pics man, might be able to save you alot of cash...

The float assembly is plastic, shouldn't be corroded up. Might be dirty and need cleaning.
                          The needle can be purchased seperately, for about the price you quoted. Check online resources and you might get a better deal. Post some close up pics of the parts, they might be salvagable with just cleaning.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

thanks for all your help krey, I tried getting pics of the needle but cant get anything good with my 5mp camera. My float assembly is broken now. My dog knocked it off the bench and broke a float off. I am looking at a few sets on here if i can get a response. if not, i will just get a new float assembly from a local shop.

Comment

In case it hasn't been mentioned,

Ron Ayers and Bike Bandit both have online microfiche. You can buy exactly the parts you need from them online.

Comment

Working...
                              X