No announcement yet.
X

1993 Kat wont start/stay running.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank was completely flushed after carb removal, i put 2 gallons of 94 octance for start up. Maybe I do have a vacuum leak, seems the be about the only thing i havent checked for, is there anywhere you can install a gauge to check?

Comment

i went through the same thing as you . thought i had the carbs clean , put them on and no idle . ran great above 2 grand rpm , but would'nt idle . guess what ?? the carbs were still clogged with gunk . where you might ask ? the pilots , and that little passage in the float . i also had to por-15 the gas tank and for the hell of it i rebuilt the fuel petcock . the bike starts up now even without the choke !! . DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE CARBS CLEANLINESS !!

Comment

Can't be too much info...

Just ran across this post on another forum that has lots of nice pics with some additional info on carbs, and in general still apply.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

now thats the ticket !

Comment

Too bad you weren't closer, I love trouble shooting these things, even if it does cause sporadic episodes of tool abuse. Got a trailer? Bring her down.
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

you can have the carbs LOOK squeeky clean and stil have crap in the small passages and ports. I've pulled fresh cleaned carbs and found all 4 pilot jets plugged again, and the needle jet holder all filthy again. clean clean clean clean, then clean again. it doent take much of anything to clog up the pilot system, even just a little residue in the fuel line
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                Too bad you weren't closer, I love trouble shooting these things, even if it does cause sporadic episodes of tool abuse. Got a trailer? Bring her down.
                I have someone local comin to have a look at it tonite, if that stillgets me no where, i may just take you up on the offer and make the trip, I REALLY just wanna ride again and these issues are driving me nuts.

Comment

did you get it working out?

Comment

Call it dumb luck....call it fate....call it I dont even know. I went out today to give it one last ditch attempt before I took it into a shop. I pulled the air box just to make sure i didnt have any vaccum leaks. Everything seemed ok so i put the box back on tightened everything up, put some more fresh 95 octane gas in it, and it fired first roll over. I let it sit and warm up for about 15-20 mins, I had to make a minor idle idjustment, and I may have to make one more its sitting about 1000 right now. I threw the seat back on geared up and went for a ride with the bike still naked. Ran like a dream, lots of power, no stalling. About half way from home, I shut it down and let it sit for 5 mins just to make sure it was gonna re-start for me. Sure enough fired right up. SO after alllll the work/time/money it seems worth it. My problems seem to have gone on hiadus. (KNOCK ON WOOD). I will be sure to let you all know if my problem returns. A big Thank You to all the KR members for there help and support!

Comment

Originally posted by 1quikz View Post
                      Call it dumb luck....call it fate....call it I dont even know. I went out today to give it one last ditch attempt before I took it into a shop. I pulled the air box just to make sure i didnt have any vaccum leaks. Everything seemed ok so i put the box back on tightened everything up, put some more fresh 95 octane gas in it, and it fired first roll over. I let it sit and warm up for about 15-20 mins, I had to make a minor idle idjustment, and I may have to make one more its sitting about 1000 right now. I threw the seat back on geared up and went for a ride with the bike still naked. Ran like a dream, lots of power, no stalling. About half way from home, I shut it down and let it sit for 5 mins just to make sure it was gonna re-start for me. Sure enough fired right up. SO after alllll the work/time/money it seems worth it. My problems seem to have gone on hiadus. (KNOCK ON WOOD). I will be sure to let you all know if my problem returns. A big Thank You to all the KR members for there help and support!
                      so your idle adjust knob was not turned up all the way to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by f00lishroy071 View Post
                        so your idle adjust knob was not turned up all the way to begin with?
                        its better than finding out it was a huge problem

Comment

Working...
                        X