X

Lock question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock question...

Hello.Just got a 06 750 with one key.I can't seem to lock the steering lock (pushes down but won't turn) and can't open the helmet lock.The key looks like a copy but thats all i got.Any idea how i can make this 2 things work without changing the cylinders.
    Thanks .

Originally posted by georgedaman View Post
    Hello.Just got a 06 750 with one key.I can't seem to lock the steering lock (pushes down but won't turn) and can't open the helmet lock.The key looks like a copy but thats all i got.Any idea how i can make this 2 things work without changing the cylinders.
    Thanks .
    Usually youd just change it out ..but there are some locksmiths out there that can cut you a key for an existing lock. You may wanna call around and explain your delema to them.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Thanks.I'll give that a try.

Comment

You have the handle bars turned all the way to the left before you try the steering lock right?
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Yes i did that without any luck..even white greased the cylinder..

Comment

Bars to full left lock, then while twisting the key to the lock position start moving the bars a bit left. Older ignition bar locks are kinda tricky.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have this same problem on the 99 Kat I bought last month....

Problem on mine is the fact that it's not the original key and is only cut on one side....works in ignition to start...seat lock...but doesn't work on helmet lock or locking the steering....

I was told by guy at the bike shop to take it to a locksmith and have them cut the other side to match the already cut side...he said that will fix it.

Haven't gotten to it yet...let me know if it works lol
              sigpic

Comment

I just checked mine.The blank is ILCO SUZ18 X241 but it looks completely symetrical including the cut.

Comment

Head over to Crappy Tire and pick up some Lock Ease, squirt a bunch in and work the key until it frees up. Keep that stuff off everything else though cause it stains paint.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by monolith View Post
                    I have this same problem on the 99 Kat I bought last month....

Problem on mine is the fact that it's not the original key and is only cut on one side....works in ignition to start...seat lock...but doesn't work on helmet lock or locking the steering....

I was told by guy at the bike shop to take it to a locksmith and have them cut the other side to match the already cut side...he said that will fix it.

Haven't gotten to it yet...let me know if it works lol
                    Called around (motorcyclekeys.com..local shops etc.) Ended up getting the crapy key copied by a motorcycle shop..on the same type of blank ILCO suz14.Sprayed a lot of WD-40 into the cylinder and minutes later the new key started to work perfectly,including the helmet lock.(the old one still doesn't work,and the 2 cuts look slightly different)
                    I also noticed that the dustcover on the tumbler was stuck open and maybe thats what caused the unused functions or parts of the tumbler to freez up.
                    Hope this will help.

Comment

Working...
                    X