how do i get the oil filter off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i get the oil filter off?

i have been trying for like an hour and its starting to make me mad

Oil filter wrench (strap wrench, or one of the small metal "caps" that they sell) made directly for the purpose.

Only way, bro...unless you change the oil yourself and put the filter on hand tight.

Also--don't forget to put some new oil on the filter gasket before installing so that it doesn't happen again! :lol

...you probably knew that, though.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

i have 3 of the metal cap things but none fit. my new filter i bought (k&n) filter has a wrench sopt weleded to it

Comment

Originally posted by steve053136
        i have 3 of the metal cap things but none fit. my new filter i bought (k&n) filter has a wrench sopt weleded to it
        Those socket filters rock!

You are looking at a strap wrench at this point, then. Either that, or punch a screwdriver through it, and deal with the mess (hopefully with some tin foil over the headers...

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

an oil filter wrench will do, $10 at Walmart.
          Kyle

Comment

I've used channel-lock pliers the last few times, they work well if you've got some wide enough. KYKatowner
            93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

Comment

Working...
            X