X

help with gas switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with gas switch

can someone post me a picture of the gas switch (on, res, ect) i stripped it at one point and never put in on. and i want the correct match up. i have a 2003 kat 750

Here's a link to the fiche diagram. Not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

i think it would be #10. the label of the position of the gas switch

Comment

can nobody take a picture of their fairings?

Comment

Comment

thank you!

Comment

I know this is a very old thread, but what exactly is the difference between on and primary??

Is there an "off" and why is it res, pri, and on???

I don't have a label on my bike... Is the switch the same on my 01 kat?
              My Bike/Project:
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114782

Comment

Pri stands for Prime, not primary. It allows free flowing gas to enter the carbs without the engine having to be on. Normally, when the switch is on "on" or "res" (reservoir), gas is not flowing if the engine is not running. Vacuum from the engine opens a valve in the petcock when the engine is running, thus allowing fuel to flow. Prime is important after you just serviced your carbs and they are empty, and you need to fill them back up again before starting your engine.

Comment

Ok so my 01 kat should be the same as that drawing.. lol... Sorry my old bike had a completly different switch. and thanks for clearing up the "pri" thing. def makes sense and good explaination.
                  I get why it would have prime just didnt know that "pri" meant prime. Thanks.
                  My Bike/Project:
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114782

Comment

Originally posted by swapdip View Post
                    Pri stands for Prime, not primary. It allows free flowing gas to enter the carbs without the engine having to be on. Normally, when the switch is on "on" or "res" (reserve), gas is not flowing if the engine is not running. Vacuum from the engine opens a valve in the petcock when the engine is running, thus allowing fuel to flow. Prime is important after you just serviced your carbs and they are empty, and you need to fill them back up again before starting your engine.

There. Fixed it for ya.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

two other cases when you need to use prime:

1. the carbs will also dry up if the bike hasn't been running for a while.

2. they will also empty if you tip or drop the bike, as i once learned
                      1993 GSX750F

Comment

Also if you leave it on prime you can get very ill effects... I lived in an apartment and there is still a dark spot where I lost a gallon over a couple hours before a friend came in and said, why does your bike smell like gas and leak so much water...
                        95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                        ---
                        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

In theory if you leave the petcock on prime you should still not flood the carbs, float needles in good shape should make a tight seal. However if your floats are miscalibrated, or the float needles do not seat properly, then yes a petcock left on prime will flood the carbs, leak into the crank case, foul the oil and overflow in a big mess. I have a 84 ZN1100 that I leave on prime all the time because the vacuum diaphragm is all torn and I cant find a rebuild kit, altho the float needles are in such good shape that it does not flood the carbs.

Comment

My carbs were a mess at the time... That's not the way I want to realize my carbs need work...
                            95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                            Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                            ---
                            I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by swapdip View Post
                              In theory if you leave the petcock on prime you should still not flood the carbs, float needles in good shape should make a tight seal. However if your floats are miscalibrated, or the float needles do not seat properly, then yes a petcock left on prime will flood the carbs, leak into the crank case, foul the oil and overflow in a big mess. I have a 84 ZN1100 that I leave on prime all the time because the vacuum diaphragm is all torn and I cant find a rebuild kit, altho the float needles are in such good shape that it does not flood the carbs.

It really only matters it's left on prime if it's sitting and not running. If it's running, then fuel is flowing anyways... But correct, the floats should prevent the tank from emptying. I definately would never rely on that though. All it takes is 1 little piece of gunk to allow a bowl to leak out.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X