X

Katana Transmission

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Transmission

Just wondering if anybody would know if a 6-speed 750 katana transmission (pre 98) would fit into a 5-speed '86 Gixxer 1100 motor?
    I have both engines complete and am doing a swap from my 750 to the 1100 but th etranny on the 1100 is shot and rather than spend the money to replace all the gears i was wondering if anybody has doen this before.
    1996 Suzuki Katana 750
    Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
    '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

I'd ask Sin, he'd know better then anyone I can think of.

Comment

I would be VERY suprised if they did. Usually with the extra gears everything is different sizes.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can do it, but machining will be needed.

Comment

I think they use different gear cuts on the cranks. You would need to adapt.

Comment

The crank has NOTHING to do with the trans working. You will need to use the 6 speed shift drum & forks also but the only REAL work involved is machining the cases for clearance. The crank gear only dictates which clutch hub you would use due to it being either a straight cut (GSXR) or helical (Katana or Bandit) Ray.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
              The crank has NOTHING to do with the trans working. You will need to use the 6 speed shift drum & forks also but the only REAL work involved is machining the cases for clearance. The crank gear only dictates which clutch hub you would use due to it being either a straight cut (GSXR) or helical (Katana or Bandit) Ray.
              aren't the helical's smaller in width. with that said, without having both right here to measure would make me think it would be damn close.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Again, the clutch hub & crank go with each other, NOTHING to do with the trans. Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Ray,

Do you know exactly what ahs to be machined because to me both cases look pretty much the same. And yes I would of course be using the same drum and forks from the 6 speed. What I am really worried about to tell you the truth is the fact that the motor will be putting out about 160 hp and I am not totally convinced that the 6 speed gears will handle that kind of torque.
                  1996 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

As long as you aren't drag racing or running slicks you should have no problem. I have done 4 of them & the only one that broke was in a road race bike that he tried to run slicks on after I told him not to. Set the trans into the upper case half & it will show you what you need to machine. It has been about 12 years since I last did one but it isn't difficult. I don't have one in front of me to look at to tell you where exactly to machine so I can't be more specific. I have 2 extra 6 speeds if you need one. Ray.

Comment

thanks i was looking for that info too just in case 2nd gear is shot on the 1052...
                      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

Thanks, I will take a look at it this weekend. I will keep you posted if I firgure it out in case somebody else is looking to do the same swap.
                        1996 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

can you take some pictures of the differences? Or does any happen to have a set of katana 6 speed gears and 5 speed gears they can sit side by side and take a pic?
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

yes pics r good!
                            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                            Tony
                            94 Katana 600

Comment

Well I talked to a friend and he said that the 6 speed will definately not hold up to the abuse of the 1100, so thats out of the question. However I have found a salvage yard here that has a complete Katana 1100 tranny for $100. Does anybody know if the Katana (1127) tranny will fit into the 1052 without any troubles???????
                              1996 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X