X

Adding Heated Grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
    Not a bad thing. It'll protect that relay.

I was thinking a 5 amp fuse...what do you think?
    R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
      Md86, congrats on the 20,000 posts, not bad for a pre.
      Oh . I hadn't even noticed . But whaddya mean by "not bad for a pre" . I mean , my bike IS pretty ugly , so ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

all was working fine. i wired it according to my diagram above and ran the ground to the frame. it works for about 1 minute and the fuse blows. i have tried 5 an 10 amp fuses with and the result is the same.

the grips draw 20 watts per side, am i using a fuse that is underpowered?
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Even though they install on the inside, when I install my Symtech's going the outside of the grip, I was blowing fuses as well. It turned out that the the clear adhesive was missing in a spot and was causing the positive wires to short out.

Use a continuity tester to test the hot (12V+) wire to ground (frame) on both elements and see if that's the issue.

When I tested mine I did have continuity from 12V+ to the frame. As a result I had to buy a whole new set of grip heaters.
          Last edited by squiggy; 03-14-2009, 12:43 AM.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            Even though they install on the inside, when I install my Symtech's going the outside of the grip, I was blowing fuses as well. It turned out that the the clear adhesive was missing in a spot and was causing the positive wires to short out.

Use a continuity tester to test the hot (12V+) wire to ground (frame) on both elements and see if that's the issue.

When I tested mine I did have continuity from 12V+ to the frame. As a result I had to buy a whole new set of grip heaters.
            I have a feeling the problem is in the main grip.
            R.I.P. Marc

Comment

found and fixed the problem. wow, these things are the cat's a**. They really make a great difference.
              R.I.P. Marc

Comment

It's REAL fun when you're out with friends during a cold ride , and you complain that your hands are sweating .

Comment

Nice job JZ, it may be warm enough today to turn the grips off.
                  56 degrees here in Niagara, just like summer.
                  Blackdog
                  DRz-400e plated
                  Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

i was taking the bike out for a 2nd test ride tonight and i flipped on my heated ggrips and waited..... and waited....they just did not get hot enough for me to feel through the gloves where is and how do i find this Ca fan wire... i know i have a CA fan wire... but the fan was gone before i bought the bike so i dont have the slightest idea were to begin looking.
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

It's gonna be likely near the battery box on the left side ( when I took off the fan , that's how the wire ran , but it's been a while ...) . I THINK it's a red wire , but I'm not sure . Hold on , I'll grab my manual .... Yeah , shows a red wire and a black/red wire going to the fan motor

Comment

I found the wiring harness on the right side under the fairing on the frame near the front - maybe that wasn't for the CA fan wire but an idle powered harness was there.
                        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Working...
                        X