X

torque wrench

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't mean to be a smartarse, I'm sorry to anyone offended
    I buy A LOT of tools from Pit Posse, however, I WOULD NOT trust a $40 dollar 200 in-lbs torque wrench.
    Last edited by arsenic; 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

You weren't being a smart *** you were, again, telling people things. When you tell people things you might get called a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        WRONG!!! I have the Snap On torque wrench. I use my SK in in-lbs.
        The torque wrench I have is a 1/2inch drive tool #ATECH3FR250 I mainly use it for heavy line engine work, the angle mode is a real time saver bro. I wouldn't use it on a job like that though!!!!!!!
        Last edited by Black_peter; 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
        I Quit KatRiders!

Comment

right for big torque vales the Snap On is great, I agree with you there no doubt. It's small stuff I don't use it for.

Comment

get a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, this isn't rocket surgery
            actually when dealing with torque wrenches you do not want to use adapter or even extensions if you can avoid it as they throw your correct torque off and if your dealing with say 25 inch pounds putting a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter can throw you off by up to as much as 10 inch pounds

Comment

no an adapter keeps the socket centered on the ratchet, therefore, it does not matter.

Comment

just buy a 3/8" from harbour freight
                I have a couple different styles. click type and bar type.. each has its own place and time to be used.

Only an adapter that extends the length of the wrench will throw off the torque values such as a crows foot adapter. Even them most crows foot adatpers on 2-5 in-lbs.
                so on a stud that normally would be 20 in-lbs would be 15-18lbs.

Also remember when using a torque wrench it s not always about how tight they are but more importantly that they are all evenly torqued down to the same amount. Thats why click type torque wrenches are much more important on delicate pates and things like cylinder heads and engine cases etc.

%$#& sears and thier continuosly getting shottier tools...
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-24-2009, 05:07 PM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

rocket surgery...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    just buy a 3/8" from harbour freight
                    I HATE HF, but I don't like Craftsman torque wrenches either, not new ones anyway. I like the SK brand.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doomed_preacher View Post
                      actually when dealing with torque wrenches you do not want to use adapter or even extensions if you can avoid it as they throw your correct torque off and if your dealing with say 25 inch pounds putting a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter can throw you off by up to as much as 10 inch pounds
                      As others have stated if you use a extension that is 90 degrees to the wrench such as a extension the torque will not change. I have verified this at work when I was calibrating the torque wrenches. The key is proper torque wrench use.

Tmod

Comment

I HATE HF, but I don't like Craftsman torque wrenches either, not new ones anyway. I like the SK rand.
                        never heard of them
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Comment

Or SK Tools

Tmod

Comment

I have the SKT74026 25-250 in-lbs 3/8 drive one and the SKT74255 20-150 ft-lbs 1/2 drive torque wrench.
                              I want this:

I have no idea were I'd use it, but tools are cool.
                              Last edited by arsenic; 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I've grown up with a family of mechanics & none of us have ever liked or had a use for BEAM type torque wrenches. I have 4 Snap On torque wrenches. I've got a 75-250 ft lb 1/2 inch drive, 2 5-75 ft lb 3/8 drives, & an inch pound also. Does anyone that isn't using their torque wrenches every day need the expense of Snap On? Probably not. I just have no faith in the accuracy of beam type torque wrenches. I would recommend the non FULL time mechanics on here get a Craftsman as they still have a lifetime warranty & can be traded in at a Sears store. I think for the price & ability to do the job, that would be the best choice. Ray.
                                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                X