X

Missmatched idle jets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missmatched idle jets?

My old carbs (89 maybe?) were royally f'd up so I bought a used set off of another member (88). On my 89 carbs the idle jets all are solid with a single hole in the end. On my 88 carbs 3 of the idle jets have holes in the side and 1 does not and has the same markings as the ones in my 89 carbs.

Is this an issue? I'm gonna guess it is. If so should I use the idle jets from my 89 carbs in the 88 carbs?

WTF is an idle jet.? You mean main jets? Pilot jets? Pilot air jet?

Comment

Look for the little bitty numbers on the sides or ends of the jets. Can't speak for the 600s but 1989-1996 750s all had the same jetting. Needle Jets were all Y-1, Pilot jets were 32.5s, Main air jets are .5mm, starter jets #37.5 and Main jets were 105s on 1,2&4 and a 110 on #3. Probably wouldn't hurt to re-use the jets from your 89 carbs if you can get them cleaned out. If not, you might want to just pick up new ones.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        WTF is an idle jet.? You mean main jets? Pilot jets? Pilot air jet?
        Pilot jet
        Don't they control idle?

Comment

the hole in pilot jets are friggin tiny, and on pre's the are under a rubber cover, down in a tube, I kinda think you're talking about main jets, or am I wrong? N/M on 88-89 600 carbs the pilot jets not a pita to get to, let me check on that for ya.
          pilot jets
          California - 37.5
          except California- 32.5
          so yes, they all should be the same - 32.5
          Last edited by arsenic; 02-24-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

No , my pilot jets were changed by the PO . It CAN happen . On top of THAT , I also had mismatched jets . Same SIZES , but 2 different TYPES , which ended up killing my #1 cylinder . So yeah , make sure you got the right jets . With the BST36SS carbs , you want the 32.5's , and make sure they got all the right holes in 'em , or you'll slowly trash YOUR engine , too ....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

your garage says "91 Katana". Now, a 91 is BST33SS carbs. Your talking about 88-89 carbs which are BST31SS carbs. So, what do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                your garage says "91 Katana". Now, a 91 is BST33SS carbs. Your talking about 88-89 carbs which are BST31SS carbs. So, what do you have?
                I have the BST31SS I bought the bike with a rebuilt title and it came with these carbs. Confusing I know because I don't have the nipples on the intake tubes to sync them (but I bought new ones). I bought another set of BST31SS's to fix my old ones though I found I can't fix my old ones because the previous owner torqued down one of the a/f screws with the fist of god.

I'm just gonna yank the matching pilot jets out of my old carbs and use those.

Comment

Oh , didn't know it was a 600 we was talking about : . Ok then , don't listen to me on the jet size .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

MD, you're still correct, he needs 32.5 pilot jets

Comment

Working...
                    X