X

Clutch warm up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch warm up?

Have a 93 600, starts and runs fine, replaced the clutch, did an oil change with the right oil for a wet clutch when i bought it and now i have 600 miles on it... 27,xxx total on the bike. When i go for a ride i'll let the engine warm up for a couple minutes, but for the first couple minutes riding it seems like the clutch is slipping. And after a couple miles of riding the slipping stops and actually grabs. Is this normal that the clutch needs to "warm up"?

No it is not normal! You need to check your lever freeplay & the cable adjustment. Is there play in the lever when you first pull it in some or is there pressure on the lever right when you start to pull it? Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I have play in the lever. Its wierd cuz after a couple minutes its gone and grabs like it should...

Comment

When you replaced the clutch did you soak the new fibers in oil for a few hours (at least) before you put them in? Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Yeah i let them soak overnight in new oil...

Comment

Originally posted by adlboo View Post
            Have a 93 600, starts and runs fine, replaced the clutch, did an oil change with the right oil for a wet clutch when i bought it and now i have 600 miles on it... 27,xxx total on the bike. When i go for a ride i'll let the engine warm up for a couple minutes, but for the first couple minutes riding it seems like the clutch is slipping. And after a couple miles of riding the slipping stops and actually grabs. Is this normal that the clutch needs to "warm up"?
            You oil the plates to prevent lock up.
            There is no need to soak plates over night, pouring a little on each plate and coating it completely with your finger is more then enough to prevent it from locking up.

Your problem is VERY common and must be fixed before you ride it again.

That's not normal and hopefully you have not fried that new clutch.
            You need to adjust the push rod when you replace the clutch plates.
            most likely you need to back off the adjuster bolt 1/4 -1/2 turn.

The easiest way I found to adjust the clutch is like this .
            Remove the rubber cap over the adjuster bolt, loosen the lock nut and back the bolt off several turns (counter clockwise)
            Next turn in the adjuster bolt (clockwise) until you feel resistance (not a slight drag)
            Then back off the bolt (counter clock wise) 1/2 turn.
            Then adjust the cable free play.
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

how long do you let the bike warm up for? maybe let it warm up for a few more minutes and see if there is a difference.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, but it's not the clutch adjustment... Like i said after a couple minutes of riding it works like its supposed to...

Maybe i will just let it warm up longer and see if that does anything for it...

Comment

Did you replace the clutch fibers and the steel plates, or fibers only?

Originally posted by adlboo View Post
                  Thanks for the replies, but it's not the clutch adjustment... Like i said after a couple minutes of riding it works like its supposed to...

Maybe i will just let it warm up longer and see if that does anything for it...

Even when you do it's still not operating correctly. You need to determine why you have to wait any length of time for it to work correctly.
                  Last edited by squiggy; 02-24-2009, 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Just the clutch fibers... I let the bike warm up longer this morning and it was definitely less noticable...

Comment

It is the clutch push rod adjustment
                      It works better after it gets hot because the plates expand friction from the extreme heat of the plates slipping makes it want to grab

Why ask if you think you know the answer !
                      Adjust the push rod like I said.

think about it!
                      if your plates were worn and glazed and the clutch was adjusted properly... when you install slightly thicker new plates the clutch pushrod adjustment is not too tight... and MUST be backed off and re adjusted for the new plates.

There is no such thing as needing to warm up a clutch before you can ride so it won't slip... WTF?
                      Thats just silly. A clutch is designed to GRAB the second that lever is released regardless how cold it is.
                      Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Ok ill try adjusting it again... Was asking because i was pretty sure the adjustment is good, but maybe i do have it a lil tighter than it should be...

Comment

I am not a pro on this, but that is not normal. I think I would make the adjustment that hardly suggests!

Good luck

Comment

Adjusted it so the cable is loose inside the lever, no difference...

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                              You oil the plates to prevent lock up.
                              There is no need to soak plates over night, pouring a little on each plate and coating it completely with your finger is more then enough to prevent it from locking up.

Your problem is VERY common and must be fixed before you ride it again.

That's not normal and hopefully you have not fried that new clutch.
                              You need to adjust the push rod when you replace the clutch plates.
                              most likely you need to back off the adjuster bolt 1/4 -1/2 turn.

The easiest way I found to adjust the clutch is like this .
                              Remove the rubber cap over the adjuster bolt, loosen the lock nut and back the bolt off several turns (counter clockwise)
                              Next turn in the adjuster bolt (clockwise) until you feel resistance (not a slight drag)
                              Then back off the bolt (counter clock wise) 1/2 turn.
                              Then adjust the cable free play.

DO THIS - I needlessly replaced the clutches in my bike because this adjustment was not right. When I replaced the clutches and metals, it was slipping still... not ever realizing it was a rubber gromet until after the fact, sure enough, an adjustment on that fixed it 100%

Problem it, your clutches have def been damaged from riding during slipping. They may be ok for a while, but if you notice any issues shifting, before trying to force it between gears, swap them out - WICKED easy to do, and about 120 bucks with a gasket.

Comment

Working...
                              X