X

starter cover removal and oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter cover removal and oil leak

Ok, first I spent an hour searching on here and then more time on the FSM and Haines.

I have a oil leak from the seal around the engine cover, starter clutch cover. It drips 2-3 a night, and I want to fix this.

I've pulled all the bolts and have opened the cover about half way but it will not come free. Is it just the seal holding really tight or is there something else?

The bike is an 05 Kat 750 and I have all the fairings off already for some other work.
    Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

I believe there are a couple pins where the screws pass through. That's what maybe causing the hang-up. I'll have to double check.

OK, parts fische shows at least one pin, #17.
    Last edited by squiggy; 02-22-2009, 02:00 PM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Ya you have to pull it off pretty straight and rock it slightly from side to side to get it free.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Wrap the tip of a small screwdriver with a little electrical tape, and gently pry a little at a time, making sure to pry at different points all around the cover. You don't want to pry too much in one place and crack the cover.
        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
        90 GSXR 750/1216
        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
        sigpic

Comment

yep, I have a nice putty type blade knife that is great for that but it felt like it was more then just the seal holding it on.

The last thing I want to do is wail on it and break something.
          Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Yeah , it's got dowels in it , so it's gonna take a little wigglin .....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sometimes the pins will corrode or the cover will corrode to the pins & make it a little difficult to get off but if you use the putty knife & work your way around it will come off. Like you said, just be CAREFUL with the gasket surfaces. Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

it has dowels in the case that make it a little tricky to come off, but pull it strait off and it will come off easily.
                I recommend a new gasket I also highly recommend a bit of Threbond 1211 sealant on either side of the gasket.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I like to tap it with my dead-blow hammer and wiggle it til if starts to loosen .......
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

just take your time and it will come off, are you replacing the cover as well as the seal?

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      I like to tap it with my dead-blow hammer and wiggle it til if starts to loosen .......
                      2000 Katana 600
                      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
                      X